Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading? July 2011

Retired Threads
Elysium
Reader

Post by Elysium » Fri July 29th, 2011, 7:30 pm

I finished A Secret Alchemy by Emma Darwin and now I'm reading The Darling Strumpet by Gillian Bagwell.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Fri July 29th, 2011, 8:24 pm

Quick, fun read: Hamburger & Fries by John T. Edge (NF)

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri July 29th, 2011, 9:44 pm

Finished Nevil Shute's "On the Beach" yesterday, which I liked, but "A Town Like Alice" is still my favorite by him. Started reading "The Glass Palace" by Amitav Ghosh today.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Fri July 29th, 2011, 10:00 pm

[quote=""Elysium""]I finished A Secret Alchemy by Emma Darwin[/quote]

What did you think of it? It's a bit of an unusual one, that. I think we have a thread for this book in the reviews section.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Fri July 29th, 2011, 10:24 pm

[quote=""Elysium""]now I'm reading The Darling Strumpet by Gillian Bagwell.[/quote]

Let me know what you think. I read Exit the Actress and wasn't really a big fan of Nell.
Brenna

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat July 30th, 2011, 3:46 am

I finished a book yesterday. "And the Bride Wore...The Story of the White Wedding" by Ann Monsarrat (252pgs, 1975)*. An interesting look at the progressing of weddings over the centuries. Concentrates a huge amount of space on royal weddings and the weddings of president's daughters. Would've been even better if it had images of some of the women and their dresses!

SM
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Sat July 30th, 2011, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat July 30th, 2011, 5:16 am

The Lion's Cub, (2006) by Lisa Speight, a novel about Alexander the Great told from the POV of his companion/lover Hephaistion. This was apparently meant to be the first in a trilogy, but I haven't found any trace of published sequels. Maybe the first one didn't sell as well as hoped. A shame - it's rather good.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sat July 30th, 2011, 5:41 am

Vlad, The Last Confession by C.C. Humphreys. An ARC I didn't manage to squeeze into my schedule at the time the book was first published (May). I'm interested in Vlad (the historical Dracula), but I was afraid it might just be a big gore-fest. There's some gore, but it doesn't seem to be the main point, and the writing is atmospheric and original. So far, I'm liking it quite a bit.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat July 30th, 2011, 10:40 am

Reading upstairs The Homecoming of Samuel Lake by Jenny Wingfield for Amazon Vine. 1956 Arkansas. Very good so far.
Reading downstairs an ARC of Lionheart by Sharon Kay Penman. I just love the personality of Philippe of France - brilliant!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

george3
Scribbler

Post by george3 » Sat July 30th, 2011, 12:14 pm

I'm almost finished with 'Imperial Governor' by George Shipway. I only wish that it was longer!!! :)

Return to “Archives”