Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading? July 2011

Retired Threads
sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed July 27th, 2011, 3:55 pm

[quote=""annis""]That was me- thanks for the feedback :) I've just re-read Waugh's Scoop - very apposite given the current Murdoch/News of the World scandal, as John Pilger pointed out in his recent to-the-point articleon the subject.[/quote]

Thanks for that. I haven't actually read much Waugh, apart from Decline and Fall at school (just a few years ago now!), which I loved, and now Helena, which I also loved. I will certainly read more.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed July 27th, 2011, 8:33 pm

I finished one book yesterday. "The Wonderful and Surprising History of Sweeney Todd: The Life and Times of an Urban Legend" by Robert L. Mack (333pgs, 2007)*. A interesting look at the possible antecedents for the myth, and how it has progressed through the years in literature, plays, musicals, movies, etc.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri July 29th, 2011, 12:09 am

Getting ready to start The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Fri July 29th, 2011, 12:33 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Getting ready to start The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley.[/quote]

Super jealous!
Brenna

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri July 29th, 2011, 12:54 pm

Finished Dance with Dragons and was really disappointed. I'll post more in the thread. The writing was still good enough to keep me reading, but boy did this thing need an editor with a machete. Suffice to say that I wish I had the three weeks back that it took to read this door stopper. I could have been reading something (or several somethings ) that were much more satisfying.
Last edited by Ash on Fri July 29th, 2011, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri July 29th, 2011, 12:58 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]Super jealous![/quote]

Sorry about that. Not.

Really good start, read about 60 or so pages last night. Love the Cornwall setting. What is it about time slips, spooky plots and Cornwall settings? ;)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri July 29th, 2011, 1:44 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Sorry about that. Not.

Really good start, read about 60 or so pages last night. Love the Cornwall setting. What is it about time slips, spooky plots and Cornwall settings? ;) [/quote]

Another jealous reader here! May have to start Sophia's Secret to compensate. You're right about Cornwall though.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Fri July 29th, 2011, 2:40 pm

I asked this question about Cornwall several months ago, on one of the other (old, now) threads here. It seems like -- in the reading I've done over my lifetime, anyway -- that so much HF is set in Cornwall. Which seems kind of odd, given that it's just a little corner of Britain. Having never been there, I can only guess that it has a sort of wild beauty which lends itself to romantic historical suspense.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Fri July 29th, 2011, 3:51 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Sorry about that. Not.[/quote]

:p thats how I feel about that comment!
Brenna

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri July 29th, 2011, 4:00 pm

[quote=""Michy""]I asked this question about Cornwall several months ago, on one of the other (old, now) threads here. It seems like -- in the reading I've done over my lifetime, anyway -- that so much HF is set in Cornwall. Which seems kind of odd, given that it's just a little corner of Britain. Having never been there, I can only guess that it has a sort of wild beauty which lends itself to romantic historical suspense.[/quote]

Ooh I don't think the Cornish would like to hear it called that ;) ! It does have a wild beauty, lots of dramatic scenery - coast and country - lots of history, some of it quite dark especially the smuggling, also lots of Celtic history, and with it's dramatic countryside and seamists, stone circles and moors, it gives quite a lot of inspiration to an active imagination!

Any comments from Ken?
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “Archives”