Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading? July 2011

Retired Threads
Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon July 25th, 2011, 12:18 pm

Finished the 2nd Song of Ice and Fire books, now on to number 3 (at least until August 1st when I need to start reading Ann Easter Smith's book for BOTM).
Brenna

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon July 25th, 2011, 5:41 pm

I'm just about to start Private Lives by Tamsina Perry, a proof copy I've received from BookHugger to review.

I shall be starting Queen of Rights by Anne Easter Smith next, too, Brenna!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Mon July 25th, 2011, 10:26 pm

The King's Daughter by Christie Dickason
Reveille in Washington by Margaret Leech (NF)

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon July 25th, 2011, 11:32 pm

A contemporary romance by Kiwi author Sarah-Kate Lynch, Dolci di Love. It's classic Sara-Kate - exotic locale (in this case, Tuscany), romance, quirky characters, a touch of magic, and as ever, yummy food and wine. Good for the warm fuzzies :)

About to start on Mark David Lukas's debut novel, The Oracle of Stamboul. It's had some mixed reviews, so will be interesting to check it out.
Last edited by annis on Mon July 25th, 2011, 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gordopolis
Reader

Post by Gordopolis » Tue July 26th, 2011, 2:16 pm

After Sword in the Storm, I had to get Midnight Falcon - a bittersweet experience so far as I love it as a reader and get hugely envious of it as a writer ;)

seriously though - Gemmell is the man!

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Tue July 26th, 2011, 2:38 pm

Finished Helena by Evelyn Waugh yesterday. Whoever asked me about it: I thought it was jolly good fun and absolutely loved it - possibly the most enjoyment of all my reads so far this year. It's kind of silly and a bit serious at the same time - shades of I, Claudius. It might start to pall if the book were longer, but it isn't. Maybe not for everyone as he doesn't explain everyone and everything and makes a huge leap in time in the middle of the book and doesn't explain what happened in the interim. But it doesn't matter. For the dialogue alone, it's well worth it.

PS. Taking a break from HF, I started Monster by Jonathan Kellerman today.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue July 26th, 2011, 5:12 pm

[quote=""princess garnet""]The King's Daughter by Christie Dickason
Reveille in Washington by Margaret Leech (NF)[/quote]

Interested to see what you think of the Dickason. I started it but gave up on it; everyone was too whiney for my taste.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue July 26th, 2011, 7:19 pm

Just started "The Radleys" by Matt Haig, modern fiction about a seemingly ordinary family who are in fact vampires, but have been keeping it a secret from their children, but have to reveal the truth. Good so far.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue July 26th, 2011, 8:05 pm

Posted by SPB
Finished Helena by Evelyn Waugh yesterday. Whoever asked me about it: I thought it was jolly good fun and absolutely loved it - possibly the most enjoyment of all my reads so far this year.
That was me- thanks for the feedback :) I've just re-read Waugh's Scoop - very apposite given the current Murdoch/News of the World scandal, as John Pilger pointed out in his recent to-the-point articleon the subject.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed July 27th, 2011, 2:40 pm

Finished Bossypants by Tina Fey and started Seasons of the Wild: A Year of Nature's Magic and Mysteries by Sy Montgomery. I'm heavily into writing mode so it'll be a lot of non-fiction for a while!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Return to “Archives”