Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? June 2011.

Retired Threads
MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri June 24th, 2011, 4:38 am

I'm reading Queen by Right, which was in the huge stack o' books I came back from the HNS conference with. It's decent so far. Not really grabbing me yet.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Fri June 24th, 2011, 11:31 pm

Just finished the stunning (and sadly out of print) A Pin to See the Peepshow, and I'm on to some summer reading: Deanna Raybourn's new Lady Julia Grey mystery, the Dark Enquiry.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat June 25th, 2011, 1:31 pm

Finished up The Immgrants by Howard Fast. Meh. There are better California sagas out there. I've started The Virgin King by Joseph Fullam, an alternate Tudor history. It's rather different... :o
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat June 25th, 2011, 4:14 pm

I've started The Miracles of Prato while I contiune to read The Lost Crown.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Sat June 25th, 2011, 8:23 pm

I started Christi Phillip's The Rosetti Letter last night. So far moving right along.
Brenna

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun June 26th, 2011, 2:09 am

I've finished "The Sickly Stuarts: The Medical Downfall of a Dynasty" by Dr. Frederick Holmes (217pgs, 2003)*. An interesting and well written look at the medical problems of this troubled dynasty. Despite the medical terminology and such, I found this book easy to read and understand.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Sun June 26th, 2011, 2:19 am

Literally spend the entire day reading The Rossetti Letter because I couldn't put the darn thing down. Hubby and I are headed out of town for a ball game tomorrow and I reserved Phillip's second book at a B&N next to the stadium! Pathetic book nerd? Why yes, yes I am!
Brenna

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sun June 26th, 2011, 2:42 am

[quote=""Brenna""]Literally spend the entire day reading The Rossetti Letter because I couldn't put the darn thing down. Hubby and I are headed out of town for a ball game tomorrow and I reserved Phillip's second book at a B&N next to the stadium! Pathetic book nerd? Why yes, yes I am![/quote]

A stadium with a Barnes and Noble next to it? That's my kind of stadium!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun June 26th, 2011, 3:35 am

Martin Farrell by Janni Howker. A YA tale set on the Anglo-Scottish border during an unspecified time when the great Border reiver clans held sway. Howker has created a dark Border ballad/folk-tale of her own, complete with some supernatural elements. Wow - I'm blown away by this short but stunningly written novel about dark deeds coming home to roost - it certainly lifted the hair at the back of my neck.

Whether the teenagers of my acquaintance would appreciate it is another story, but I'm impressed!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun June 26th, 2011, 9:14 am

I've just started The Family Tree by Carole Cadwalladr. It's contemporary fiction which also harks back to the 1970s. Ford Capris and moonboots! LOL. Those were the days! :)
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Archives”