Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? June 2011.

Retired Threads
boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

What Are You Reading? June 2011.

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed June 1st, 2011, 5:23 am

I'm reading Mrs. Lincoln: A Life, NF by Catherine Clinton, and debating between reading a couple of novels.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed June 1st, 2011, 2:28 pm

Currently reading Roselynde by Roberta Gellis on the Kindle. Looks like quite a few of her books have Kindle editions now.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed June 1st, 2011, 4:01 pm

I've nearly finished the Nicola Upson book ,which I'm quite enjoying,and still ploughing through May's BOTM, which is becoming increasingly tedious, with it's descriptions of sewing tents together and collecting seeds!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed June 1st, 2011, 6:14 pm

Started A Thousand Splendid Suns a couple of days ago and had bad bout of insomnia last night, so well over half-way through. Also spend a lot of time on buses and subways yesterday, so got a good start on The Stories of Eva Luna.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed June 1st, 2011, 11:10 pm

Victorian Costume for Ladies 1860-1900. :)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Thu June 2nd, 2011, 1:32 am

The Royal Sisters by Plaidy, formerly titled The Haunted Sisters. The story of Mary and Anne Stuart, daughters of James II.

So far, it's been more about Anne since Mary is in the Netherlands when the novel begins. (It seems to pick up from The Three Crowns) What I don't like about the reissue is the two women featured on the cover have the wrong period attire!
Last edited by princess garnet on Thu June 2nd, 2011, 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Steve Anderson
Scribbler

Post by Steve Anderson » Thu June 2nd, 2011, 4:33 am

The Quest for Anna Klein by Thomas H. Cook. It's an historical espionage thriller about a rookie American attempt to stop WWII by assassinating Hitler, as told by the protagonist Danforth in 2001. It's an ARC; the book's out this month.
http://www.stephenfanderson.com | Novelist, writer, literary translator

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu June 2nd, 2011, 10:09 am

I've just started "Never the Bride" by Paul Magrs - mystery set in Whitby, N Yorkshire, featuring Brenda, who runs a B & B but has a mysterious past - she's ageless, has strange scars and has to keep re-inventing herself - and she decides to investigate the new beauty parlour which has just opened and claims to, literally, take 25 years off a person's age. It's the first in a series, I think there are about 5 so far. The author also writes a lot of the Doctor Who books.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Thu June 2nd, 2011, 12:59 pm

Finished Confessions of Catherine de Medici by C.W Gortner last night which I thought was fantastic! Amazingly done! Not that I was surprised, but I want to make sure Mr. Gortner knows!!

Started Sword Song, 4th in Bernard Cornwell's Saxon series last night. Moving through it pretty quickly.
Brenna

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu June 2nd, 2011, 3:08 pm

Pulling out books to read on our trip; decided I needed to reread George RR Martin's Fire and Ice series so I can remember what it is that the tv series is leaving out. Also will be bringing Justinian with me. That should be enough to start. We will be in in the vacinity of many bookstores down the coast and Portland (can we say, Powells?), so I suspect I'll be bringing more back home than I wend with!

Return to “Archives”