Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? June 2011.

Retired Threads
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun June 26th, 2011, 1:32 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]I've just started The Family Tree by Carole Cadwalladr. It's contemporary fiction which also harks back to the 1970s. Ford Capris and moonboots! LOL. Those were the days! :) [/quote]

Oh my goodness they bring back memories! Still see the occasional Capri around - Essex was their spiritual home ;) - and it's a bit of a head-turner now!

I'm now reading "Murder in Steeple Martin" by Lesley Cookman.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun June 26th, 2011, 2:09 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Oh my goodness they bring back memories! Still see the occasional Capri around - Essex was their spiritual home ;) - and it's a bit of a head-turner now!

I'm now reading "Murder in Steeple Martin" by Lesley Cookman.[/quote]

We were all wearing swabby jeans and midi tops :)

Reading a romance at the moment, Untamed by Joan Dial. Earl's wife was given up for dead during a visit to the west, but she suddenly reappears very much alive 17 years later with a heir he didn't know he had to boot.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun June 26th, 2011, 6:35 pm

Vanishing point. I've had it on my shelf forever, and since I'm not working this summer I am going to plow through all the books I havent read in years. :)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sun June 26th, 2011, 6:46 pm

Finished Game of Thrones which I brought on vacation and starting Tinkers which my sister gave me. Literary and interesting.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun June 26th, 2011, 7:03 pm

I finished the very dire Virgin King by Joseph Fullam that I picked up at the $.99 kindle price.
No, I am not kidding.

Starting When the Splendor Falls by Laurie McBain. Civil war romance, I believe there's some storyline out in New Mexico territory as well.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun June 26th, 2011, 11:14 pm

An Excellent Mystery by Ellis Peters. I haven't read a Brother Cadfael mystery in years and found that I had two unread ones. So read them, I will!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon June 27th, 2011, 3:53 am

I've finished "The First Lady of Hollywood: A Biography of Louella Parson" by Samantha Barbas (361pgs, 2005)*. Louella was a distinctly dis-likable person, with some good traits, but not enough. A good and interesting book, and well written.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon June 27th, 2011, 4:37 am

[quote=""fljustice""]Finished Game of Thrones which I brought on vacation.[/quote]

Im on the third book, rereading all of them before I get the fifth book. They are just as good as they were before, even if I know who gets killed when....

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Mon June 27th, 2011, 9:25 am

[quote=""Misfit""]I finished the very dire Virgin King by Joseph Fullam that I picked up at the $.99 kindle price.
No, I am not kidding.[/quote]

Well done for finishing it Misfit, I don't think I'd have got past the first 50 pages. Now there's Kindle books about, should there be a new word for wallbanger? :D

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon June 27th, 2011, 10:17 am

Yes, a delete button!!!!! :D
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Archives”