Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading? May 2011

Retired Threads
Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun May 8th, 2011, 2:13 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]In my current read, Florence is in danger of being flooded, and the floods of 1966 are often referred to (I think the latest flood is purely fictional though). I think someone mentioned a book about the '66 floods on here, "16 Pleasures"? Or it may have been on another forum, I'm not sure.[/quote]

I did mention 16 Pleasures - its an excellent book, got me very interested in the flood (tho I was surprised in my visit to Florence, how few people could answer my questions about it.) I couldn't find anything else to read about it, so I ended up reading the Life and Time magazines of the time period to get the story. Last summer I read The City of Florence: Historical Vistas and Personal Sightings, which has a section about the many floods that have happened in that city's history including this one. So I am curious, what book are you reading?

http://www.amazon.com/City-Florence-His ... 789&sr=1-9

So, what book are you reading?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun May 8th, 2011, 3:00 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]Are you enjoying A Time of Mourning, Madeleine? I have The Summer House by the same author on my TBR pile.[/quote]

Yes I am, it's a very easy, quick read; not brilliantly written and I find her way of mentioning every single street that her characters walk down a bit like showing off, as if she's saying "I know this city really well", or maybe it's just me :rolleyes: It's just something I find a bit irritating but apart from that it's very enjoyable. I think it's the first in a series as there is a second book out in large format paperback "A Fine and Private Place". Sandro Cellini (the ex-cop now turned private investigator) is an engaging character. I don't, however, think she's up to the standard of Donna Leon's Brunetti novels.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Sun May 8th, 2011, 3:01 pm

[quote=""Ash""]I did mention 16 Pleasures - its an excellent book, got me very interested in the flood (tho I was surprised in my visit to Florence, how few people could answer my questions about it.) I couldn't find anything else to read about it, so I ended up reading the Life and Time magazines of the time period to get the story. Last summer I read The City of Florence: Historical Vistas and Personal Sightings, which has a section about the many floods that have happened in that city's history including this one. So I am curious, what book are you reading?

So, what book are you reading?[/quote]

The one mentioned here:

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sun May 8th, 2011, 3:33 pm

[quote=""Ash""]I did mention 16 Pleasures - its an excellent book, got me very interested in the flood (tho I was surprised in my visit to Florence, how few people could answer my questions about it.) I couldn't find anything else to read about it, so I ended up reading the Life and Time magazines of the time period to get the story. Last summer I read The City of Florence: Historical Vistas and Personal Sightings, which has a section about the many floods that have happened in that city's history including this one. So I am curious, what book are you reading?

So, what book are you reading?[/quote]

I read The Lost Madonna by Kelly Jones on a trip to Italy a couple of years ago. A pleasant read about an art historian who returns to Florence thirty years after the flood to teach and solve a mystery about a painting she helped restore after the flood that was listed as "missing." Lots of flashbacks to the flood time.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Mon May 9th, 2011, 3:09 am

I seemed to have gotten over a recent reading slump (does anyone else get those?) -- so far in May I have finished:

The Second Duchess by Elizabeth Loupas -- LOVED IT! I get very happy when an author can surprise me.
Portrait Jewels by Diana Scarisbrick (NF) -- one of those lovely coffee table books with lots of pictures. This time it's about painted miniatures and jewelry or objects d'art.
Hostage Queen by Freda Lightfoot -- I so wanted to like this one, but it took nearly a month for me to get through it, and that's always a bad sign.

and now I am in the middle of another Barbara Hambly novel:
Wet Grave -- number six in the Benjamin January series.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Mon May 9th, 2011, 10:59 am

I've now started the BOTM, As Meat Loves Salt.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon May 9th, 2011, 11:09 am

Re-reading The Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal because I've to give a talk about William Marshal next Sunday at Cartmel Priory. I am struck as I re-read, how much William actually disliked King John. I'm picking up far more this time around. Lots of subtle and not so subtle snarkiness...

On the fiction front I'm reading thriller by Nelson de Mille - but can't recall the title. Good, but could be a lot shorter.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Mon May 9th, 2011, 12:36 pm

On holiday, I finished 'The Hidden Shore' by Cynthia Harrod Eagles from the Dynasty series, and 'Jurassic Park' by Michael Crichton which I found very enjoyable :) 3/4s of the way through 'Grave Sight' by Charlaine Harris now.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon May 9th, 2011, 12:39 pm

Have about ten or so pages left on Fortune's Wheel by Rhoda Edwards (R3 and Anne Neville) and then I've got another ILL - She Who Hears the Sun by Pamela Jekel to start. About the Navajo, and I believe from a female POV.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Mon May 9th, 2011, 9:40 pm

[quote=""SCW""]I've just finished reading When Christ and His Saints Slept by Sharon Penman. Has anyone ever read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke. I am thinking of looking at that next.[/quote]

I've read Jonathan Strange; I loved it but it is a long one.

Reading a few research books for a possible new project, slowly working my way through Elizabeth I by George.

Between writing and a rather stellar season on TV (Borgias, Game of Thrones, Camelot, and The Killing) I've been less than diligent in my pleasure reading.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Return to “Archives”