Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading? April 2011

Retired Threads
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu April 28th, 2011, 8:22 am

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Going to start Elizabeth I by Margaret George tomorrow.[/quote]

Let me know what you think of it. I have it on my TBR pile - it looks a lovely book.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Fri April 29th, 2011, 4:05 pm

Finished Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende. Will post a review soon. Half-way through Goethe's Faust. Started, but gave up on a media tie-in book my daughter gave me for Christmas, Mr. Monk Gets Cleaned Out (forced myself to read two chapters--horrible!) Will start Ben Kane's The Forgotten Legion today. Really looking forward to that one!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri April 29th, 2011, 6:35 pm

I really need to re-read Faust one of these days. I haven't read it since college many, many years ago and always curse my rusty memory when I come across a reference to it or an author working with Faustian themes.

I've started Maria McCann's As Meat Loves Salt for next month's discussion. This weekend will be hectic. Not much time for reading, but I hope to finish it within the next week or so.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri April 29th, 2011, 7:13 pm

I'm just about to finish "Instruments of Darkness" (30 pages left!) and will then start "A time of Mourning" (modern Italian crime) and, when I get it, "As Meat Loves Salt" for the next BOTM.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat April 30th, 2011, 3:46 am

I've finished "The Vampire Encyclopedia" by Matthew Bunson (289pgs, 1993)*. An interesting look at vampires, the various types throughout the world, the books, plays, short stories, etc.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat April 30th, 2011, 12:34 pm

Vienna Waltz by Teresa Grant.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun May 1st, 2011, 2:14 am

My last book of the month: "Elizabeth's London: Everyday Life In Elizabethan London" by Liza Picard (327pgs, 2003)*. An interesting book on the various aspects of London in the time of Elizabeth I.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu May 12th, 2011, 9:22 am

[quote=""Madeleine""]I'm just about to finish "Instruments of Darkness" (30 pages left!) and will then start "A time of Mourning" (modern Italian crime) and, when I get it, "As Meat Loves Salt" for the next BOTM.[/quote]

Madeleine, I think Imogen Robertson (author of "Instruments...") is giving a talk in North London next week.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu May 12th, 2011, 1:51 pm

I probably won't be able to get there, but thanks for that SPB! Can thoroughly recommend her book.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “Archives”