Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Grace Ingram: Red Adams Lady

Retired Threads
jonburchell1970
Scribbler

Grace Ingram: Red Adams Lady

Post by jonburchell1970 » Sun March 27th, 2011, 4:41 pm

I recently came across a first edition copy of Grace Ingram's 'Red Adams Lady'. I'd not come across here before and it turned out to be quite good. Its signed 'Doris S. Adams (Grace Ingram)'. Is this her real name? Has she published anything else? Are there many Grace Ingram/Doris Adams fans out there?

Anyone who can give me any info. Id be grateful.

Jon

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun March 27th, 2011, 5:31 pm

[quote=""jonburchell1970""]I recently came across a first edition copy of Grace Ingram's 'Red Adams Lady'. I'd not come across here before and it turned out to be quite good. Its signed 'Doris S. Adams (Grace Ingram)'. Is this her real name? Has she published anything else? Are there many Grace Ingram/Doris Adams fans out there?

Anyone who can give me any info. Id be grateful.

Jon[/quote]

Can't answer your question about the sig, but if it's true I'm thinking you have a valuable copy on your hands. I've read it, and fortunately the library had it. Last time I looked these were selling quite dear.

Welcome to the forum BTW.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Sun March 27th, 2011, 7:02 pm

There's one other title by her Grace Ingram name I found through the Library of Congress online catalog--Gilded Spurs (1978)

Under Doris Sutcliffe Adams:
Price of Blood (1966)
Power of Darkness (1967)
No Man's Son (1969)

jonburchell1970
Scribbler

Post by jonburchell1970 » Sun March 27th, 2011, 8:02 pm

Thanks for the titles. I see what you mean about prices, these books aren't cheap to get hold of. i think I may have to sell my book to pick up the others!!

Elizabeth
Avid Reader

Post by Elizabeth » Sun March 27th, 2011, 8:10 pm

I have the 1973 paperback of RED ADAM'S LADY and it remains one of my take-to-a-desert-island favorites. A very early example of a historical mystery!
THE RED LILY CROWN: A Novel of Medici Florence.
THE FLOWER READER.
THE SECOND DUCHESS.

www.elizabethloupas.com

jonburchell1970
Scribbler

more info please

Post by jonburchell1970 » Mon March 28th, 2011, 2:40 pm

I was having a closer look at the Grace Ingram inscription on the book and the name its signed for turns out to be the person that the book is dedicated to.. I think I must have bought some of this persons books at auction as I have a few books in the same box with the name Nicol in ... I think this may turn out to be a lucky find.

Does anyone know if there is a good buy and sell location for historical fiction so I can maybe try and get the other books and see if anyone might want to buy this one!!

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon March 28th, 2011, 3:14 pm

I don't know of any specifically for HF, but eBay is always a possibility. Or you could try a third-party sale through Barnes & Noble.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon March 28th, 2011, 4:03 pm

I would like to read Red Adam's Lady, but copies seem to be scarcer than hen's teeth. I don't think you'll have any problem selling yours, whatever venue you choose.

jonburchell1970
Scribbler

Post by jonburchell1970 » Mon March 28th, 2011, 4:27 pm

Well to be honest I'd not heard of the book before so I'd be surprised if there was that much of a market for it, but it might be worth finding out. There are a lot of books that I'd like to have an early copy of but I'm not sure that I'd be prepared to pay loads of money for them. I might just find a Grace Ingram/Doris Adams fan and let them have it at a (fairly) reasonable price, so I can buy some others.

Return to “Archives”