Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

May 2011 Book of the Month: Nominations

Retired Threads
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue March 1st, 2011, 4:47 pm

How bizarre and inappropriate! The main character is a man and the central relationship in As Meat Loves Salt is a homosexual one, so a reader could well be led astray by such a cover.

Actually I thought the cover of Maria McCann's second novel, The Wilding, was rather odd too - a pretty young woman in vaguely 17th century gown tripping through a lush woodland scene which had little relevance to the rather grim and gothic story imo, especially given that the main protagonist, the "wilding" of the title, is a man.
Last edited by annis on Tue March 1st, 2011, 6:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue March 1st, 2011, 4:58 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]I'll second As Meat Loves Salt. I just snagged a like new used copy of it.[/quote]

I'll jump in on that as well. I've always been curious about this one.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

medievalnovels
Scribbler

A couple I have read recently

Post by medievalnovels » Mon March 21st, 2011, 11:34 pm

Transgressions by Erastes is English Civil War and hay.

A new one I jsut read for a review in HNS onlline.. Timothy Woods "Grant Me Timely Grace" - ery exciting about the American Civil War.

And of course my favorite "civil war" or precursor of one anyway.. Morhan Llywelyn's "1916" - Easter Rising in Ireland .

Nan Hawthorne
Cordially,

Nan Hawthorne
medieval-novels.com
Over 1200 novels and movies set between 400 & 1600 AD
[url]http://www.medieval-novels.com;[/url])

JRTomlin
Scribbler

Post by JRTomlin » Thu March 24th, 2011, 3:17 am

Well, I'm new around here but I'd like to make a suggestion. How about something a bit off the beaten track but by an excellent writer.

The Whale Road by Robert Low is the first novel in his Oathsworn series.

From Publishers Weekly
British (*ahem* he is Scottish) journalist Low's debut novel is a rousing, sprawling saga of Viking warriors and the quest for hidden treasure. The adventure begins in A.D. 965, when 15-year-old Orm Ruriksson—aka Orm the Bear Slayer—joins the Oathsworn, a band of raiders that includes his father, Rurik, and is led by the ruthless Einar the Black. After hearing a tale about a mountain of silver that once belonged to Attila the Hun, the band sets out to find it, accompanied by a madwoman who claims to know the treasure's location. The daunting journey becomes more treacherous as competitors also race for the prize. Bluetooth, the King of the Danes and the Norwegians, covets the treasure for himself, and an unscrupulous Catholic monk joins the chase, not for the silver but for the Spear of Destiny—the spear that pierced Christ's side on the cross and was later forged into Attila's sword. Low mixes history, archeology, mythology and nonstop, often-sanguinary action into a fast-moving adventure tale.

Sez me: This novel is a great start to a wonderful and meticulously researched series.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu March 24th, 2011, 3:43 am

[quote=""JRTomlin""]Well, I'm new around here but I'd like to make a suggestion. How about something a bit off the beaten track but by an excellent writer.

The Whale Road by Robert Low is the first novel in his Oathsworn series.

[/quote]

You're welcome to nominate this the next time there's a BOTM for which it would be suitable. May nominations closed a while back.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Return to “Archives”