Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? March 2011

Retired Threads
Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sun March 27th, 2011, 3:16 am

[quote=""lindymc""]Under an English Heaven by Robert Radcliffe. This started a little slow and I considered laying it aside, but checked my notes to see why I had ordered it. It had been mentioned and recommended by Elizabeth Chadwick on the WWII thread, so I decided to stay with it. So glad I did - I loved it! Setting is a village in Suffolk near an American bomber base. Of course I've never lived in England, and all I personally remember about WWII is the day it ended and my older brothers were allowed to walk to town to see the celebrations, but I had to stay home. But, anyway, this novel seemed very believeable, the life of the small English village including the story of a London evacuee living with a village family and fascinated by the men and aeroplanes at the base. I loved the story of the pilot and crew of one of the bombers. The characters, on the base and in the village, were well-developed. I cared about them, about their backgrounds, their fears and triumphs. All in all, I thought it was a wonderful novel.[/quote] This sounds like something I would like. My dad was a bomber pilot in WWII, and he was stationed in East Anglia. I'll see about hunting down a copy.

weirdfishes4
Scribbler

Post by weirdfishes4 » Sun March 27th, 2011, 5:06 am

[quote=""Misfit""]So did I. And welcome aboard.[/quote]

Hey thanks :)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun March 27th, 2011, 10:33 am

Third Girl by Agatha Christie
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun March 27th, 2011, 7:27 pm

Doc by Mary Doria Russell. I've always liked her novels - they go deep, and they always seem to have an unusual angle on the subject. This one is about Doc Holliday. I'm enjoying it.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Sun March 27th, 2011, 8:13 pm

I'm just finishing Jean Plaidy's Sun in Splendourand Linda Fairstein's Hells Gate I'm quite enjoying Plaidy's "take" on the Plantagenet rulers! I started at The Bastard Kingand going through her books chronologically! :D
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sun March 27th, 2011, 11:05 pm

A Plaidy for me too--Madonna of the Seven Hills (Lucrezia Borgia).
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon March 28th, 2011, 1:54 am

I've finished "The Great Mortality: An Intimate History of the Black Death, The Most Devastating Plague of All Time" by John Kelly (310pgs, 2006).* A very well written and interesting look at one of the deadliest plagues of all time. Highly recommend.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon March 28th, 2011, 5:00 am

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]A Plaidy for me too--Madonna of the Seven Hills (Lucrezia Borgia).[/quote]

Cool! I want that book.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon March 28th, 2011, 5:20 am

[quote=""Nefret""]Cool! I want that book.[/quote]

I got a chunk of it read on the treadmill and am enjoying it so far.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon March 28th, 2011, 5:49 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I've finished "The Great Mortality: An Intimate History of the Black Death, The Most Devastating Plague of All Time" by John Kelly (310pgs, 2006).* A very well written and interesting look at one of the deadliest plagues of all time. Highly recommend.

SM[/quote]
Second the rec. Very well researched, and readable besides.

Return to “Archives”