Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? February 2011

Retired Threads
fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue February 22nd, 2011, 4:30 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. My first ever graphic novel![/quote]

Isn't she wonderful? They did a great animated movie based on her book, as well.

Just finished Portrait in Sepia by Isabel Allende...not as happy with it as Daughter of Fortune, it's prequel. Also finished 3rd Degree by James Patterson (my commuting mass-market book) a thriller about home-grown terrorists in San Francisco. Fine for its genre, had some nice twists.

Just starting Cleopatra: A Life by Schiff and Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue February 22nd, 2011, 5:42 pm

I finished last night "The World Without Us" by Alan Weisman (354pgs, 2007). An interesting book about what humans have done to the earth and how the earth might be able to recover if humans just disappeared one day. Depressing at times, but hopeful as well.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

kauldron26
Scribbler

Post by kauldron26 » Tue February 22nd, 2011, 7:02 pm

Still reading The Covenant by James Michener. God this novel is heartbreaking. Michener really was a citizen of the world. I swear as a black man who loves historical fiction, I always avoid reading about my own history (for obvious reasons) but damn I love Michener and this novel is full of truth. Sad. But truth still. Everytime I watch the news i'm always flabbergasted by people that say "the good old days" wtf good old days are they talking about??? when sexism and racism were common place and acceptable? seriously? thats the good old days??

I stumble on this board once in a while and I implore all of you to read Michener's Hawaii, The Source and The Covenant. Some authors transcend genre and entertainment and simply settle in the profound.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue February 22nd, 2011, 7:04 pm

[quote=""kauldron26""]Still reading The Covenant by James Michener. God this novel is heartbreaking. Michener really was a citizen of the world. I swear as a black man who loves historical fiction, I always avoid reading about my own history (for obvious reasons) but damn I love Michener and this novel is full of truth. Sad. But truth still. Everytime I watch the news i'm always flabbergasted by people that say "the good old days" wtf good old days are they talking about??? when sexism and racism were common place and acceptable? seriously? thats the good old days??

I stumble on this board once in a while and I implore all of you to read Michener's Hawaii, The Source and The Covenant.[/quote]

I know I've read the Source, but it's been years and years. I have Hawaii, Caravans and Texas floating around.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Tue February 22nd, 2011, 7:33 pm

[quote=""kauldron26""]I stumble on this board once in a while and I implore all of you to read Michener's Hawaii, The Source and The Covenant. Some authors transcend genre and entertainment and simply settle in the profound.[/quote]

Amen to that! I agree with you these works by Michener are stunning and, for me, essential readings, as are others of his.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Tue February 22nd, 2011, 8:34 pm

Everytime I watch the news i'm always flabbergasted by people that say "the good old days" wtf good old days are they talking about???
Yeah, this is weird. Some people just don't like change and refuse to adapt to it, and these same people can be incredibly good at not seeing what they don't want to see.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue February 22nd, 2011, 8:35 pm

Posted by Margaret
Quote:
I was much more interested in this before learning of the whole possible plagiarism.

Are you sure about this? I can't find anything about it on the web. It would be rather ironic, as Poe himself was accused of plagiarism.
And didn't Poe himself accuse Longfellow of plagiarizing his work? How appropriate that the author of Raven's Bride is called Lenore!

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Tue February 22nd, 2011, 10:11 pm

Cleopatra's Daughter by Michele Moran. I really enjoyed Nefertiti and The Heretic Queen so am looking forward to this one.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Wed February 23rd, 2011, 1:08 am

And didn't Poe himself accuse Longfellow of plagiarizing his work? How appropriate that the author of Raven's Bride is called Lenore!
Apparently, Poe really had it in for Longfellow, though I don't offhand recall that he accused him of plagiarism (he might have). Lenore Hart, the author of The Raven's Bride, was named by her father after one of Poe's heroines, so it's not coincidence that she ended up writing a novel featuring Poe.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Wed February 23rd, 2011, 4:33 am

[quote=""LCW""]Cleopatra's Daughter by Michele Moran. I really enjoyed Nefertiti and The Heretic Queen so am looking forward to this one.[/quote]

It was really good. I wish she'd write about Hatshepsut.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Return to “Archives”