Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? February 2011

Retired Threads
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue February 8th, 2011, 12:28 am

[quote=""Susan""]Is this the long awaited addition to The Clan of the Cave Bear series? It's been so long I forgot what happened in the previous book.[/quote]

Yep, that's the one.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue February 8th, 2011, 2:55 am

Raven's Heart, by Aussie author Jesse Blackadder. It's a story about the quest of the Blackadder clan to retrieve their stolen patrimony during the early years of the reign of Mary, Queen of Scots. Stylish writing- I'm enjoying it so far.
Last edited by annis on Tue February 8th, 2011, 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue February 8th, 2011, 9:30 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Just starting Land of the Painted Caves by Jean Auel.[/quote]

I have this one on pre-order.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Feona

Post by Feona » Tue February 8th, 2011, 9:57 am

I'm just starting Matthew Plantin's 'The Devil's Acre', which is set in London in 1853. I loved his first novel, 'The Street Philosopher', which switches between the Crimea and Manchester during the 1850s. A bit gory, but the background's spot on and it's a real page-turner.

Just started posting here, too. :)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue February 8th, 2011, 10:45 am

I really enjoyed The Devil's Acre, Feona. Hope you do, too!

I'll be starting this month's book, The Mistress of Nothing by Kate Pullinger, tonight.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue February 8th, 2011, 12:42 pm

Well, Mr Whicher hit the wall last night - my first wallbanger! - and I started "The Janus Stone" by Elly Griffiths this morning, and tonight will be starting "Game of Thrones" by George R R Martin.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue February 8th, 2011, 3:39 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]I have this one on pre-order.[/quote]

I'll keep you guys updated and make sure to post my review here so we can chit chat. I was going to wait patiently for a copy from the library but it showed up on Amazon Vine so I couldn't resist.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue February 8th, 2011, 3:57 pm

Started The Silver Rose the third in Susan Carroll's series on the Cheney sisters. I will likely put off reading the 4th one for a later date as I need to gear up for my big "Arthur-Elizabeth II challenge."
Brenna

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue February 8th, 2011, 5:15 pm

I finished yesterday "When the Dancing Stopped: The Real Story of the Morro Castle Disaster and Its Deadly Wake" by Brian Hicks (312pgs, 2006).* Interesting book about a deadly fire aboard a cruise ship and the man who may have had a hand in starting the fire.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Tue February 8th, 2011, 7:25 pm

I cannot believe I'm so "out of it" : I kept going to the What are you reading for January and wondered why no one was posting......I'm sooo embarassed! :o Anyhow, now that I'm on the right forum, I am finishing Queen of Last Hopes, plus The Vow on the Heronby Jean Plaidy. I read Queen in small doses so it'll last longer....an excellent read and marvellous addition to my War of the Roses books. I lent The Traitor's Wife to a friend and she is thoroughly enjoying it!
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

Return to “Archives”