Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? February 2011

Retired Threads
EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat February 26th, 2011, 2:30 pm

Just finished and enjoyed a non historical thriller - Dead Like You by Peter James -if you liked Silence of the Lambs, you'll probably enjoy this.

I'm now onto something a bit different and back to recent historical - reading A Pair of Silver Wings by James Holland about a Spitfire pilot - superb so far.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun February 27th, 2011, 6:57 pm

I've finished "The Tudor Secret: The Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles #1" by C.W. Gortner (324pgs, 2011). I really enjoyed this book and look forward to the next one.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon February 28th, 2011, 12:12 am

I've finished "King Rufus: The Life & Murder of William II of England" by Emma Mason (235pgs, 2008)*. This is the 2nd book in my Kings/Queens of England challenge. Not an easy read and also wasn't cheap, but it was a good look at the short tumultuous reign.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Mon February 28th, 2011, 11:32 am

Finished 'Mistress of Rome' by Kate Quinn and thoroughly enjoyed it, hooked from beginning to end :) Looking forward to her next book 'Daughters of Rome' being released in April time, just trying to decide what to read next!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon February 28th, 2011, 3:03 pm

Visiting an old friend - the Stephanie Plum series, with "Eleven on Top", by Janet Evanovich.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon February 28th, 2011, 3:56 pm

Reading a classic SF for a break: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It moved from "commuting book" to "fireside book" because it grabbed me.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon February 28th, 2011, 4:17 pm

Finished Metamorphosis: The Sorcerer by Jack Whyte last night. One of my favorites of the series thus far. Started The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent. Pretty good so far.
Brenna

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon February 28th, 2011, 5:06 pm

Not historical fiction - in fact, so far I don't know what the hell it is - but just started Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon February 28th, 2011, 5:17 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]Reading a classic SF for a break: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It moved from "commuting book" to "fireside book" because it grabbed me.[/quote]
I need to read that. I read Ender's Shadow on a packtrip (the hubby's book; mine turned out to be a tent-wallbanger) and was fascinated at how Card told two stories from different points of view during exactly the same time and at the same setting.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon February 28th, 2011, 5:58 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]Not historical fiction - in fact, so far I don't know what the hell it is - but just started Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood.[/quote]

Sci fi, isn't it? Apocalyptic, I think. I read it a few years ago and I believe The Year of the Flood is a sort of sequel.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Archives”