Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Books Did You Get For Christmas....

Retired Threads
SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun December 26th, 2010, 4:12 am

[quote=""Divia""]Wow. I'd expect you guys to get more books.
.[/quote]

Well it's tight in my house, but if it makes you feel better, my book originally cost $75! :)

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun December 26th, 2010, 4:15 am

Besides my son's joke gift, my daughter did give me a Kindle gift card and a book which I hope will be useful called Outwitting Squirrels.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun December 26th, 2010, 5:38 am

I got a hardcover version of Terry Pratchett's Discworld fable, The Last Hero. Full of the sort of anarchic humour of Pratchett's earlier novels, it's quite a short story featuring Cohen the Barbarian (five foot tall in his surgically enhanced sandals), but magnificently illustrated by Paul Kidby. I wish I could show you - the pictures of the various assorted decrepit but still dangerous (if only to themselves) members of the Barbarian Silver Horde (oldies but baddies) are just priceless. And Kidby has created a wonderful take-off of the Bayeux tapestry :) I love it!

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun December 26th, 2010, 7:03 am

My son took a book he had given me a few years ago that was in my to be read pile and re-gifted it as a joke!
Now that's just rude - and very, very funny! :D
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun December 26th, 2010, 9:00 am

[quote=""annis""]I got a hardcover version of Terry Pratchett's Discworld fable, The Last Hero. ...magnificently illustrated by Paul Kidby. I wish I could show you - the pictures of the various assorted decrepit but still dangerous (if only to themselves) members of the Barbarian Silver Horde (oldies but baddies) are just priceless. And Kidby has created a wonderful take-off of the Bayeux tapestry :) I love it![/quote]

One of my favorite books by Pratchett - those illustrations added so much to his world. Kidby also did many of the original UK covers which I always thought were much more interesting than the ones they have out now. Not all of the illustrations were over the top - some of the individual characters were downright beautiful esp the Discworld turtle. But my favorite was Death petting a very cute little kitten (wish I could find a link to it - its just perfect!)

Gabriele Campbell
Reader

Post by Gabriele Campbell » Sun December 26th, 2010, 4:15 pm

[quote=""ejays17""]
And in other Historically-related stuff
A pewter chess set of Romans vs Ancient Britons. I collect chess sets (it's a very expensive hobby & I don't indulge very often :D ), and we'd seen this one at the market when we were on holidays in October so SLOC boight it for me - on the understanding that it was combined Christmas / birthday prsent this year.[/quote]

Any chance you could put up a photo or two of that?

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun December 26th, 2010, 4:27 pm

I didn't get any books. :( Hubby gave me War & Peace on VHS though. The one with Audrey Hepburn, Henry Fonda, and Mel Ferrer. If I ever get a chance to watch it I'll be that much more inspired to read the book.

And my oldest made an empty book for me to fill presumably with my fashion designs. It's about 2 1/2 inches square which works because my designs look best small.

Gabriele Campbell
Reader

Post by Gabriele Campbell » Sun December 26th, 2010, 4:30 pm

Christmas presents are a very unsentimental business in our family. My father gives me some money and I go on a shopping spree at Amazon. :) *

So I got me:

Shippey, The Road to Middle Earth
ditto, Tolkien - Author of the Century
Tolkien's Letters
Carpenter's Tolkien biography
Tolkien, Unfinished Tales

Tim Clarkson, The Men of the North
Die Deutschen Herrscher des Mittelalters (a collection of essays by various historians)

Joe Abercrombie, The Blade Itself / Before They are Hanged / Last Argument of Kings
Douglas Jackson, Hero of Rome

Donizetti, Anna Bolena (DVD)

* I buy something for him, but it's easier because I know his taste in books and music while I read a lot of books in foreign languages, plus he doesn't know much about Fantasy (though I got him to read Lord of the Rings, finally).

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun December 26th, 2010, 5:22 pm

Posted by Ash
But my favorite was Death petting a very cute little kitten

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Sun December 26th, 2010, 5:30 pm

I didn't get any books, but my husband made me a very nice bookcase:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Archives”