Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

December 2010: What are you reading?

Retired Threads
LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Sat December 11th, 2010, 8:08 pm

Gave up on the biography of Magda Goebbels and finished 'Imperial Highness' by Evelyn Anthony about Catherine the Great today, a nice quick read about a very interesting woman. Now starting 'The Road to Tara' by Anne Edwards about Margaret Mitchell's life.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sat December 11th, 2010, 9:24 pm

[quote=""LoobyG""]Now starting 'The Road to Tara' by Anne Edwards about Margaret Mitchell's life.[/quote]

Oh, I really enjoyed that. There's a more scholarly Mitchell biography called Southern Daughter, by Darden Asbury Pyron, but Road to Tara is super readable.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat December 11th, 2010, 10:55 pm

Finished (finally!) Faye Kellerman's Blindman's Bluff and now back to Elizabeth's Women by Tracy Borman.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon December 13th, 2010, 3:15 am

I've finished 4 books today:

"His Last Letter: Elizabeth I and the Earl of Leicester" by Jeane Westin (361pgs, 2010). A novel of the life of Elizabeth and her relationship with Robert Dudley. The book goes back and forth in her reign at various points in their relationship. I liked it.

"Sotheby's: Bidding For Class" by Robert Lacey (346pgs, 1998)*. A very interesting look at the auction business and it's practices. Later I'll be reading "The Art of the Steal" about price fixing at Sotheby's and Christie's, it'll be like a continuation of the story, but by a different author.

"The DNA Detectives: How The Double Helix Is Solving Puzzles of the Past" by Anna Meyer (198pgs, 2005). Puzzles like was Anna Anderson Anastasia, no, was Neanderthals humans ancestors, no, and others.

"The Parthenon" by Mary Beard (210pgs, 2010). A look at the past, present and contemplates the future of the historical structure and the marbles, especially held by the British Museum.

SM
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Mon December 13th, 2010, 3:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon December 13th, 2010, 4:23 pm

At the moment I'm going back and forth between The Out-of-Sync Child (my upstairs book) and The Short Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald (my downstairs book).

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon December 13th, 2010, 9:11 pm

I've finished "How Did They Die? Vol.1" by Norman & Betty Donaldson (225pgs, 1989ed)* A quick and interesting read.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Pine" by Francine Toon
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Tue December 14th, 2010, 5:12 pm

I'm just about to start "The Winter Ghosts" by Kate Mosse.
Currently reading: "Pine" by Francine Toon

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Tue December 14th, 2010, 8:57 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]Oh, I really enjoyed that. There's a more scholarly Mitchell biography called Southern Daughter, by Darden Asbury Pyron, but Road to Tara is super readable.[/quote]

I'm really enjoying it Miss Moppet! What an interesting woman. I like Edwards's style too, she is very readable which helps me a lot with biographies :)

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Tue December 14th, 2010, 11:51 pm

I also read The Road to Tara several years ago, and enjoyed it.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed December 15th, 2010, 12:23 am

Erm, yes I am actually going to do this. Frequent quotes on my Goodreads updates.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “Archives”