Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

December 2010: What are you reading?

Retired Threads
sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed December 8th, 2010, 10:52 am

Just started Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian history of the American West (NF) by Dee Brown. A book group read. Not my choice. So far, it seems more worthy than thrilling.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed December 8th, 2010, 3:14 pm

[quote=""emr""]Started The Game of Kings by Dorothy Dunnett a couple days ago and almost gave it up after 50 pages of latin-french-not-quite-english gibberish but I'm glad I persevered (and the gibberish improved) Accepting that Lymond talks like that, I find hard to believe that everybody else has the cultural level to understand him. Anyway I've got to like his quest for justice always destined to fail...

I think I'll need something brainless next :D [/quote] I started that one myself a few days ago (my first foray into Dorothy Dunnett) and set it aside after about 50 or 60 pages. My reaction was pretty much as you describe above. However, given all the comments from others on the Dorothy Dunnett thread I'm not giving up on this one entirely -- I'll give it another go one of these days.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Wed December 8th, 2010, 8:40 pm

[quote=""Michy""]I started that one myself a few days ago (my first foray into Dorothy Dunnett) and set it aside after about 50 or 60 pages. My reaction was pretty much as you describe above. However, given all the comments from others on the Dorothy Dunnett thread I'm not giving up on this one entirely -- I'll give it another go one of these days.[/quote]

It improves. Slowly at first. By the end of the book they have too many serious problems to go around quoting every dead roman ever. :rolleyes: I'm definitely getting next book in the series. :)

*me is almost at the end and hooked... 3 hurrahs for Lymond's mom! :D :D :D
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed December 8th, 2010, 9:05 pm

Yes, everyone mentions getting "hooked" on Dorothy Dunnett -- that, frankly, is the only thing that makes me willing to give her another try. Otherwise, the book would have hit the wall. As you say, the characters constantly spout highfalutin lingo that is over my head! :p And someone else mentioned that Dunnett purposely makes her prose "murky" -- apparently she gradually peels back the layers and reveals things to the reader. That appeals to the puzzle-lover in me. So I will give her another go one of these days.....

Elysium
Reader

Post by Elysium » Wed December 8th, 2010, 10:36 pm

I'm reading The Rose Without A Thorn by Jean Plaidy. It's been good but I've read better ones from her.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Wed December 8th, 2010, 11:36 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I started Bloody Mary by Hilda Lewis after giving up in disgust on two recent HF novels. One was a whinefest, the other was a genealogical table with dialogue.[/quote]

Which ones were the not so good ones? "Genealogical table with dialogue." That's good... You do come up with snazzy one liners.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Wed December 8th, 2010, 11:39 pm

[quote=""Michy""]Yes, everyone mentions getting "hooked" on Dorothy Dunnett -- that, frankly, is the only thing that makes me willing to give her another try. Otherwise, the book would have hit the wall. As you say, the characters constantly spout highfalutin lingo that is over my head! :p And someone else mentioned that Dunnett purposely makes her prose "murky" -- apparently she gradually peels back the layers and reveals things to the reader. That appeals to the puzzle-lover in me. So I will give her another go one of these days.....[/quote]

Get your hands on the Dorothy Dunnett companion books -- they untangle all of those quotes and people and really help to make it through that first book -- took me three tries before I got it. Then it was onto Queen's Play, and there I was trapped, well and truly.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed December 8th, 2010, 11:44 pm

[quote=""Telynor""]Get your hands on the Dorothy Dunnett companion books -- they untangle all of those quotes and people and really help to make it through that first book -- took me three tries before I got it. Then it was onto Queen's Play, and there I was trapped, well and truly.[/quote]

Oh man, that steeple chase race was something. Wow.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Wed December 8th, 2010, 11:51 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Oh man, that steeple chase race was something. Wow.[/quote]

It was one of the most intense bits of writing that I have ever come across. And then, later on, there is that chess game -- I was completely undone by the end of it. Just a wreck.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu December 9th, 2010, 12:06 am

[quote=""Telynor""]It was one of the most intense bits of writing that I have ever come across. And then, later on, there is that chess game -- I was completely undone by the end of it. Just a wreck.[/quote]

Oh yes, let alone that wild chase through the city (Paris, was it?) in the last book.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “Archives”