Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

December 2010: What are you reading?

Retired Threads
sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed December 29th, 2010, 12:01 pm

Re-reading 'The Daughter of Time' by Josephine Tey, for a book group read. Last read it a few years ago.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed December 29th, 2010, 1:42 pm

I snagged a used copy of Susan Kay's Phantom and am reading that right now. I don't have a lot of time for reading this week, so this will probably be the last book I read this year.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed December 29th, 2010, 3:04 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]I snagged a used copy of Susan Kay's Phantom and am reading that right now. I don't have a lot of time for reading this week, so this will probably be the last book I read this year.[/quote]

OMG one book that is better than the original. LOVED it.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed December 29th, 2010, 3:19 pm

This one is on my wish-list, as well. I've read Phantom of the Opera a couple of times; although I think it's a great story idea, I don't think it's very well written, actually. If not for ALW's opera adaptation and the silent movie version years ago, I think the book would have faded into obscurity long, long ago. I look forward to reading what a talented writer does with it......

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed December 29th, 2010, 3:34 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]I snagged a used copy of Susan Kay's Phantom and am reading that right now. I don't have a lot of time for reading this week, so this will probably be the last book I read this year.[/quote]

I loved her Legacy; have hesitated with this one because of the subject matter. But I'll be very curious what you think of it.

Now reading Moonstone by Wilkie Collins, and a rather interesting older travel book: Incidents of Travel in Egypt, Arabia and the Holy Land by John Lloyd Stevens. He wrote this in 1837, but it doesn't read with the flowing prose like many writers of that time. Plus, he has a world view that is a bit wider than most (Sort of like Freya Stark). Liking it so far, certainly getting quite a bit of history and outlook from that time period.
Last edited by Ash on Wed December 29th, 2010, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Wed December 29th, 2010, 8:39 pm

[quote=""Ariadne""]I loved that book. Seriously creepy. I made the mistake of reading it in bed, and it had me glancing around the room nervously before I turned the light out.[/quote]
Yes, me too! Can't wait to see what her next book will be about!
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Thu December 30th, 2010, 12:14 am

I actually read this one before I even knew about Legacy. I loved it! Makes me appreciate the story so much more!

Started The Forever Queen by Helen Hollick last night. The Saxon names make it a bit difficult to follow when you are first starting out, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. Very well written!
Brenna

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu December 30th, 2010, 1:00 am

Just finished The Mischief of the Mistletoe by Lauren Willig, and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I just might go on to read the rest of the series -- I had stopped somewhere around the fourth book or so. Now onto Cadillac Beach by Tim Dorsey.

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Thu December 30th, 2010, 10:54 am

Dead and Gone - Charlaine Harris (one of the Sookie Stackhouse books)

and tomorrow it's supposed to be stinking hot, so I've got plans to take To Defy a King to the airconditionted shopping centre for an "outing" ;) in the middle of the hottest part of the day.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

aceuggy
Scribbler

Post by aceuggy » Thu December 30th, 2010, 3:20 pm

The Last Bear by Mandy Haggith. Thoroughly enjoying it so far.

Return to “Archives”