Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

November 2010: What Are You Reading?

Retired Threads
Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon November 29th, 2010, 4:16 pm

Finished Twilight of Avalon last night. I have to read the second one because there were so many holes left in the first book. It was a good read though and I really enjoyed the twist on the normal Trystan and Isolde plot.

Now for a departure from historical fiction, I'm reading Nora Roberts The Search. Having just bought a puppy and enduring the biting, chewing, and destroying everything in sight, I'm thoroughly enjoying this story so far!
Brenna

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Tue November 30th, 2010, 12:21 am

Now reading a rarity: Amberwell, by DE Stevenson, a short novel about a family and their home in Scotland.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue November 30th, 2010, 8:23 am

I remember reading a book when I was 15 which had a house at the centre of the story and was about the family which lived there. I have been trying to remember the title of the book for years and recently someone else read Amberwell and I think it may be the one. So I did actually buy a second-hand copy. I haven't got round to reading it yet, but I am hopeful it is the one! It's funny how things like that can bug you! You've jogged my memory, though, so I'll have to bump it up the TBR pile.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Tue November 30th, 2010, 11:28 am

Just started The Help by Kathryn Stockett. So far it's unputdownable :)

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Tue November 30th, 2010, 5:44 pm

Welcome to the forum, Alisha!

I'm almost done with House at Riverton. Might be that I was just in the mood for something different, but I actually found this novel quite compelling and, at times, I couldn't stop reading it to find out what happened next. She combines some of Daphne du Maurier's romantic suspense with a hint of old-time family saga appeal. I liked it enough to buy her other books.

Great to hear abour Russian Winter; it's on my TBR pile and I've been wanting to read it.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Tue November 30th, 2010, 5:45 pm

[quote=""Alisha Marie Klapheke""]I enjoyed The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane in spite of its dull protagonist and slow start--I do agree with your comments. But when authors combine history and paranormal elements in their story, I cannot resist the mismash.[/quote]

Welcome Alisha! :) I thought the story idea was great, I'm interested in anything about the Salem witch trials. I just couldn't stick with it, perhaps I'll keep it and try again when I'm in the right frame of mind.

Berengaria
Avid Reader

The Distant Hours

Post by Berengaria » Tue November 30th, 2010, 8:26 pm

I have started to read the latest Kate Morton novel......have a feeling that I will be up nights reading "just another page"! :)
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue November 30th, 2010, 9:53 pm

Hope you enjoy it, Berengia!

I'm just about to start The Night Watch by Sarah Waters.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Wed December 1st, 2010, 12:42 am

I just started Tess of the D'Urbervilles.

Return to “Archives”