Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

September 2010: What Are You Reading?

Retired Threads
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon September 20th, 2010, 5:51 pm

Posted by Telynor
Dragonsbane -- a terrific fantasy novel that gives a whole new twist on dragons and the hunting of them.
Is this Barbara Hambly? Dragonsbane is one of my favourite BH novels. She's been on my must-read list ever since I discovered her Darwath trilogy back in the '80s. I love the Ladies of Mandrigyn as well.

Her HF is not to be sneezed at either. Search the Seven Hills aka the Quirinal Affair is set in ancient Rome and is a story about early Christianity - excellent - and the Benjamin January mystery series set in 19th century New Orleans are also very good.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Tue September 21st, 2010, 12:32 am

Dark Moon of Avalon by Anna Elliott.

JoshuaKaitlyn
Reader

Post by JoshuaKaitlyn » Tue September 21st, 2010, 6:27 am

The Principessa by Christie Dickason....Because everyone should have a second chance!
Alea Jacta Est

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue September 21st, 2010, 1:28 pm

[quote=""annis""]Posted by Telynor

Is this Barbara Hambly? Dragonsbane is one of my favourite BH novels. She's been on my must-read list ever since I discovered her Darwath trilogy back in the '80s. I love the Ladies of Mandrigyn as well.

Her HF is not to be sneezed at either. Search the Seven Hills aka the Quirinal Affair is set in ancient Rome and is a story about early Christianity - excellent - and the Benjamin January mystery series set in 19th century New Orleans are also very good.[/quote]

I'm another big fan of hers, like you, first with her fantasy, and now, with her HF. Have you read The Emancipator's Wife, about Mary Todd Lincoln? Really quite excellent.

My sister took up my recommendation for Wolf Hall and loves it. So I decided to start a reread so we can discuss it together. This is my third read, and loving it all over again, as well as picking up bits I missed before. One thing my sis noticed (as she would being a retired college theatre director) is how much 'theatre' is in the book. There's the list of characters, the set pieces of each scene, but also the way its narrated brings it to the present much as a play does. Now finding some bits where Mantell mentions acts and tragedy and comedy in reference to theatre. Interesting.
Last edited by Ash on Tue September 21st, 2010, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue September 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm

Have temporarily given up on Lyn Guest's Sword of Hachiman aka Children of Hachiman. It has a cast of thousands and they all seem to be named Yoshi or Yori-something! My poor brain can't cope! I'll leave it till I'm on holiday and not so tired. It is set in 12th century Japan, and is well regarded - it won the Georgette Heyer Prize for Historical Fiction .

Synopsis for those interested:
This is a novel about Yoshitsune and his rivalry with his brother, Yoritomo, and is set against the Genpei Wars. It is not only readable but well researched, colourful, evocative, even quite moving at the end. It creates quite a convincing picture of Yoshitsune, a gifted warrior but rash and impetuous as a youth, too concerned with glory in battle and being A Hero to be fully aware of the treachery around him, or to really comprehend it, even at the end.

Have moved instead to Terry Pratchett's latest Tiffany Aching novel, I Shall Wear Midnight. I think this YA series is amongst my favourite TPs. I swear that if anyone can make you believe there really is magic, Pratchett is the man :)
Last edited by annis on Tue September 21st, 2010, 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue September 21st, 2010, 7:41 pm

I've finished reading "Marie-Therese: The Fate of Marie Antoinette's Daughter" by Susan Nagel (407pgs, 2008). Interesting and well-written account of her life, though a little laggy at times.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

cat
Reader

Post by cat » Tue September 21st, 2010, 8:44 pm

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Book Cover Designer ~ http://www.avalongraphics.org

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Tue September 21st, 2010, 10:28 pm

I'm reading City of Light, by Lauren Belfer.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Tue September 21st, 2010, 10:32 pm

The Astronomer by Lawrence Goldstone.
So far, it's brilliant; engrossing, well written, and quite unique in its focus on a conspiracy involving the reformation in France.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Tue September 21st, 2010, 11:30 pm

Interesting report about Children of Hachiman, Annis! The "cast of thousands" makes it seem rather daunting :D

CW, I just picked up The Astronomer myself, so good to hear it's so engrossing...

I finished Maeve Haran's The Lady and the Poet two days ago, and am now reading Mary Novik's Conceit. The former is a leisurely romantic novel about John Donne and Ann More, and the latter covers the life of their daughter, Pegge.

Return to “Archives”