Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

September 2010: What Are You Reading?

Retired Threads
laktor
Reader

Post by laktor » Thu September 30th, 2010, 6:04 am

I recently "discovered" Steven Saylor and the first of his books that I read was Roma. Now I'm about halfway through Roman Blood, book 1 of his sub-Roma series. However, before going on to the next in the series, I just have to read Ken Follett's brand new page-turner Fall of Giants, which has received amazing reviews.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu September 30th, 2010, 7:47 am

Spotted a classy new Orion edition of an old favourite, which I just had to buy- Poul Anderson's "The Broken Sword". A dark tale which incorporates the spirit of Norse mythology, it stands the test of time well. Recently read a modern fantasy inspired by Norse myth, Wolfsangel by M D Lachlan, and it was interesting to reread Broken Sword and compare the two. There are some similarities - both have as the heart of the story a stolen child/doppelgänger. Although Wolfsangel is imaginative and full of dazzling imagery, compared to the spare and sinewy Broken Sword it seems rather overwrought, like a film relying on special effects for its impact. Sometimes the old masters can't be beaten :)
Last edited by annis on Thu September 30th, 2010, 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JoshuaKaitlyn
Reader

Post by JoshuaKaitlyn » Fri October 1st, 2010, 12:17 am

Finished 'Vlad - The Last Confession', C.C. Humphreys :D :D , (I could hardly put the book down!). Thinking of starting 'Azincourt' Bernard Cornwell.
Alea Jacta Est

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri October 1st, 2010, 4:46 am

Finished up Spies of the Balkans by Alan Furst (my first one by him), and while it started off rather oddly, I was liking it very much by the end. Now onto the fourth Serge Storms novel, Triggerfish Twist, which is seriously demented but fun. And still working my way through Becoming Queen Victoria -- much better than Charlotte and Leopold!

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri October 1st, 2010, 12:51 pm

Teylnor,

Spies of the Balkans was my first Furst novel, too. I’ve read three others since then, and have enjoyed them all (SotB slightly lesser than the others, though). Night Soldiers has been my favorite so far. I have four more in the TBR, so I must like them!

I’m still reading Quo Vadis. I’m finding this far more overwrought and preachy than I did his novel, Knights of the Cross, though he does include some interesting bits about Rome during the time of Nero (e.g., in the wit of Petronius). I can only stand about 50 pages a day of Vinicius (the male lead) who behaves like a lovesick, spoiled child for most of this. I did finally get a copy of Henryk Sienkiewicz’s The Teutonic Knights which does indeed continue the adventures he started in Knights of the Cross. KoC begins in 1399 and stops a year or two later (it was hard to tell how much time passes, but I’m pretty sure it was two years). The Teutonic Knights culminates in the Battle of Grunwald in 1410. I’m looking forward to reading the final adventure included in this one. It’s too bad that here in the US he is better known for Quo Vadis and his other novels are hard to come by, not to mention the confusion of sorting through which translation might be best. I think his stories about the Teutonic Knights are much better.

Return to “Archives”