Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

August 2010, what are you reading

Retired Threads
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu August 19th, 2010, 2:18 pm

kauldron26 and ccarr, welcome and nice to see one of you has delurked ;)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Thu August 19th, 2010, 3:16 pm

I've been reading up a storm at the beach. Am now reading new YA fiction "The Red Pyramid" by Rick Riordan. As some of you may know, RR wrote the Percy Jackson series. This is his new series, all about the Egyptian gods.

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Thu August 19th, 2010, 3:23 pm

Welcome kauldron26 and ccarr! Happy reading :) Just started 'Catherine - One Love is Enough' by Juliette Benzoni and anticipating a good read, I love what I've read of the Angelique series so far and understand Juliette Benzoni's books to be of the same calibre.

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Thu August 19th, 2010, 4:07 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Heading towards the end of The People's Queen by Vanora Bennet - about Alice Perrers. I've enjoyed it a lot and it certainly blows The King's Mistress out of the water. If you want to read a novel about her, this is the one. Geoffrey Chaucer is a very strong secondary character and almost takes over the major role. Interesting to see John of Gaunt and Katherine Swynford from a perspective other than Seton's, although Katherine is very much in the background. Alice's relationship with Edward III in his failing years is skillfully and touchingly portrayed and I think the author has captured the essence of Alice herself to a tee. Unless there is a terrible fall off in the last 70 pages, I'll be giving it a solid 5 stars - not one of the sparkly ones, but still shiny. :) [/quote]

Katherine Swynford was my introduction to historical fiction when I was a girl ....oh how many years ago! :p I have an order out to get The Peoples Queen....I read the other one and liked it so this one should really blow my socks off!
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu August 19th, 2010, 4:25 pm

It sounds interesting to me, as well. It doesn't appear to be available in the States, though, except in Kindle, which I don't have.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Thu August 19th, 2010, 4:36 pm

[quote=""cw gortner""]I'm reading the same one right for review; I always like Saylor's work and I find this is good, quite easy to read, but I must admit, I wanted more of the bad emperors (trash-queen that I am) and he skimmed right over Caligula! However, I'm not very far along; right now, I'm reading about the catastrophic fires allegedly set by Nero.[/quote]

You're a little ahead of me. I felt he could have dropped the whole first section and not lost anything. Or better yet, done some juicy stuff with Caligula, as you suggested. Things do seem to be picking up in Claudius.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu August 19th, 2010, 4:41 pm

[quote=""LoobyG""]Welcome kauldron26 and ccarr! Happy reading :) Just started 'Catherine - One Love is Enough' by Juliette Benzoni and anticipating a good read, I love what I've read of the Angelique series so far and understand Juliette Benzoni's books to be of the same calibre.[/quote]

I'm working on the Marianne series and loving it. Just finished book #2 and ordered #3 from the library.

PS, if your issue has a blurb on the back and/or jacket can you get it to me so I can put it up on Goodreads? Thanks.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Post by Jemidar » Thu August 19th, 2010, 6:33 pm

I'm reading Lady of Hay by Babara Erskine. Only about 20 pages in but i think I'm going to like it a lot :) .
Jenny

"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Currently Reading:

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu August 19th, 2010, 8:42 pm

Just about to download The Last Great Dance on Earth, the last book in Sandra Gulland's trilogy about Napoleon's first wife Josephine, to my Kindle.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Thu August 19th, 2010, 10:26 pm

Just started To Defy A King by a little-known HF author by the name of Elizabeth Chadwick. ;) :D

Been waiting ages to get my hands on this one!
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Return to “Archives”