Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

August 2010, what are you reading

Retired Threads
Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Sat August 7th, 2010, 6:27 pm

[quote=""princess""]Mine too. Infact I often forget she wrote it when I think of the likes of "Wideacre" and "The Queen's Fool" :eek: [/quote]

The book I keep trying to block from memory is The Other Queen... I DNF'd that one.

emmylou14

Post by emmylou14 » Sun August 8th, 2010, 10:01 am

Mistress Of The Art Of Death by Ariana Franklin (murder mystery set in medieval england) - Awesome!
Heard alot about Year Of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks, read it and didn't disappoint!!
Have now just started another set in 14th century Spain, Cathedral Of The Sea by Idelfonso Falcones -definate page turner so far!!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun August 8th, 2010, 12:31 pm

Hi emmylou, welcome aboard.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun August 8th, 2010, 8:45 pm

Hello, Emmylou. Hope that you enjoy this, it's a fun place to be.

Three books on the go at the moment. Very nearly finished with For the King by Catherine Delors and enjoying it very much. The Pluto Files by Neil deGrasse Tyson, a nonfiction science book and fascinating to read. Still struggling with Spies of the Balkans by Alan Furst, I keep getting interrupted while I'm trying to read, and it's really breaking my concentration.

Still slinging books onto the goodreads lists -- I have some that need new homes, so if you're interested, please take a look and help me make some room on my shelves.

javagirl
Reader

Post by javagirl » Mon August 9th, 2010, 5:00 am

[quote=""emmylou14""]Mistress Of The Art Of Death by Ariana Franklin (murder mystery set in medieval england) - Awesome!
Heard alot about Year Of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks, read it and didn't disappoint!!
Have now just started another set in 14th century Spain, Cathedral Of The Sea by Idelfonso Falcones -definate page turner so far!![/quote]

I loved Mistress of the Art of Death and Cathedral Of The Sea. I have Year of Wonders on Mt . TBR and was just thinking about it earlier today. Nice to hear you liked it.

I'm almost halfway now on Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and have been enjoying it the whole way.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Mon August 9th, 2010, 1:49 pm

Finished Cecelia Holland's Great Maria over the weekend and thought it was excellent. I've come to appreciate her terse writing style, but understand why others may not. I think it happens to work very well for conveying the non-modern mindset of the characters and periods she writes about. She also really makes you read between the lines to understand what is happening to her characters emotionally.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon August 9th, 2010, 1:53 pm

Not HF: just started The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Mon August 9th, 2010, 3:09 pm

[quote=""javagirl""]
I'm almost halfway now on Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and have been enjoying it the whole way.[/quote]

I enjoyed that one too - and the movie's even better, unusually. The book is extremely complicated, and the movie simplified things without losing the spirit of the story.
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon August 9th, 2010, 3:10 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]Finished Cecelia Holland's Great Maria over the weekend and thought it was excellent. I've come to appreciate her terse writing style, but understand why others may not. I think it happens to work very well for conveying the non-modern mindset of the characters and periods she writes about. She also really makes you read between the lines to understand what is happening to her characters emotionally.[/quote]

That's exactly how I feel about her writing too, Ludmilla. I revisited Great Maria not so long ago and I was a bit worried that it might not have stood the test of time, but it has. Her writing style is very unique.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

JoshuaKaitlyn
Reader

Post by JoshuaKaitlyn » Mon August 9th, 2010, 3:28 pm

Finished "Katherine Swynford: The History of a Medieval Mistress" by Jeannette Lucraft :( :( (Please EC2 remove this from my memory by writing a novel based on Katherine :D ). Starting Jack D. Hunter's "The Blue Max"
Alea Jacta Est

Return to “Archives”