Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

August 2010, what are you reading

Retired Threads
Berengaria
Avid Reader

Pillars of the Earth series?

Post by Berengaria » Sun August 15th, 2010, 8:12 am

Are any of you watching this series? I'm finding it quite interesting and have been reading excerpts from my copy of the book for comparison....it's been years since I last read it.
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sun August 15th, 2010, 9:17 am

[quote=""Madeleine""]Have just read that South Riding is going to be adapted for TV, I think it has been done already, back in the 70s. Makes a change from Austen, at least.

Edited to say it was filmed in 1974! The new version will star Anna Maxwell Martin (from Bleak House) and David Morrissey.[/quote]

I thought this had been done before because I have a vague recollection of seeing it. I can't remember who was in it though.

Winifred Holty appears in Vera Brittain's Testament of Youth.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun August 15th, 2010, 11:16 am

I have a vague recollection of watching it too, probably a bit young to take it in though!

I think Nigel Davenport was in the original too.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Sun August 15th, 2010, 12:18 pm

[quote=""SGM""]
Winifred Holty appears in Vera Brittain's Testament of Youth.[/quote]

Brittain's subsequent volume, Testament of Friendship, is all about her relationship with Holtby. I heard somewhere that there was going to be a new TV adaptation of Testament of Youth too, but can't find anything about it on the net...

WH died tragically young in 1935, and South Riding was published posthumously. It's her best novel, but her other stuff is well worth reading too.
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Sun August 15th, 2010, 12:19 pm

[quote=""Berengaria""]Are any of you watching this series? I'm finding it quite interesting and have been reading excerpts from my copy of the book for comparison....it's been years since I last read it.[/quote]

Yep! I'm really enjoying it so far. There's a thread all about it over in the Movies & TV section. :D
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sun August 15th, 2010, 12:32 pm

[QUOTE=Leo62;67433]Brittain's subsequent volume, Testament of Friendship, is all about her relationship with Holtby. I heard somewhere that there was going to be a new TV adaptation of Testament of Youth too, but can't find anything about it on the net...

I saw it on a re-run on Sunday afternoons starring Cheryl Campbell as Vera and IMDB says there is to a 2012 version.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun August 15th, 2010, 12:45 pm

[quote=""Berengaria""]Are any of you watching this series? I'm finding it quite interesting and have been reading excerpts from my copy of the book for comparison....it's been years since I last read it.[/quote]

There's a thread under movies/television section I believe. My PC's doing updates and being terribly slow but if you can't find it let me know and I'll hunt it down later.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

TLee
Reader

Post by TLee » Sun August 15th, 2010, 2:52 pm

I have just started The Sixth Surrender by Hana Samek Norton. So far, I am enjoying this one.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Sun August 15th, 2010, 3:27 pm

I'm towards the end of The Ante-Room, by Kate O'Brien. Moves very slowly...

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun August 15th, 2010, 4:33 pm

[quote=""4ever Queen""]Today I got started on By Fire, By Water by Mitchell Kapplan. I'm looking forward to another great read! :D :D [/quote]

I rather enjoyed that one, especially as I've not read much in this area. I had a lot of fun looking up images of the places for my updates on Goodreads.

TLee, check back with Kasthu and I over at buddy reads when you get further if you want to chit chat.

I've started Wicked Company by Ciji Ware.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “Archives”