Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

July 2010: What are you reading?

Retired Threads
enelya
Reader

Post by enelya » Thu July 15th, 2010, 8:18 am

I am about halfway with Conquest by Juliet Barker. I like it a lot, well written, good overview. Plus it is nice to read something that isn't just about the battles but shows the bigger picture as well

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Fri July 16th, 2010, 12:34 am

Finished The French Blue (enjoyed it very much) and plan on starting Holland's The Secret Eleanor

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri July 16th, 2010, 5:07 am

Finished up Tongues of Serpents today, and found it to be not too bad, if not my favourite so far of the series. Not sure what's next in the heap -- probably something a bit lighter, or I could really go off the deep end and read either The Calligrapher's Daughter by Eugenia Kim or Empire of the Summer Moon.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Fri July 16th, 2010, 5:28 am

[quote=""enelya""]I am about halfway with Conquest by Juliet Barker. I like it a lot, well written, good overview. Plus it is nice to read something that isn't just about the battles but shows the bigger picture as well[/quote]

I'm going to have to track that down soon.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri July 16th, 2010, 6:20 am

I've finished "Jewels: A Secret History" by Victoria Finlay (404pgs, 2007). Part travel log, part history of gem stones (amber, jet, pearl, opal, peridot, emerald, sapphire, ruby & diamond), entirely fascinating. Highly recommend.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Fri July 16th, 2010, 8:53 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I've finished "Jewels: A Secret History" by Victoria Finlay (404pgs, 2007). Part travel log, part history of gem stones (amber, jet, pearl, opal, peridot, emerald, sapphire, ruby & diamond), entirely fascinating. Highly recommend.

SM[/quote]

I have looked at that one a few times. She also did a similar book about colours and dyes.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Fri July 16th, 2010, 10:43 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I've finished "Jewels: A Secret History" by Victoria Finlay (404pgs, 2007). Part travel log, part history of gem stones (amber, jet, pearl, opal, peridot, emerald, sapphire, ruby & diamond), entirely fascinating. Highly recommend.

SM[/quote]

I've pondered her books too. Good to know it's good.

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Fri July 16th, 2010, 11:43 am

[quote=""enelya""]I am about halfway with Conquest by Juliet Barker. I like it a lot, well written, good overview. Plus it is nice to read something that isn't just about the battles but shows the bigger picture as well[/quote]

I enjoyed that. I think that books about battles written from a female perspective often contain a more personal aspect. I also very much enjoyed her previous book: Agincourt. It really brought the background and the battle to life and her research is impeccable. I also have her book about The Tournament in England 1100 - 1400 that she wrote for her Ph.D. - though she's often only known for her work on the Brontes.
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri July 16th, 2010, 12:50 pm

Just started Alan Furst's new WII novel, Spies of the Balkans. This will be the first book of his that I've tried.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Fri July 16th, 2010, 1:04 pm

I'm finally reading "Pope Joan" by Donna Woolfolk Cross. It has been on my TBR list for over a year! I love it thus far.
Brenna

Return to “Archives”