Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

March 2010: What are you reading?

Retired Threads
EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue March 30th, 2010, 10:14 pm

Half way through The Pirate Devlin by Mark Keating. Then onto the new Guy Gavriel Kay (Amazon Vine)
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue March 30th, 2010, 11:33 pm

I've finished "The Grim Reaper's Book of Days: A Cautionary Record of Famous, Infamous, and Unconventional Exits" by Ed Morrow (306pgs, 1992).

Some of the facts don't always jive what I've read elsewhere, but overall I enjoyed the book.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed March 31st, 2010, 12:11 am

[quote=""javagirl""]Finished Frank Herbert's Dune a few days ago and it didn't really do much for me. [/quote]

Oh my - my boyfriend in HS gave that to me; I was about 15, and hadn't really read much sci fi before. Oh my gawd. I've read it several times over the years and it never fails to interest me. It certainly led to several years of all sci fi/fantasy all the time. I'm curious what you didn't like about it?

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed March 31st, 2010, 12:14 am

Gave up on Glassblowers of Morano - for one thing, poorly edited (used 'that' instead of 'who' many times, and other irritating bits of grammar) and I didn't like the modern character descendant. If she had stuck with the ancient story it would have been fine. Ah well

Really liking Henrietta Lacks. Its history, along with science and ethics. Very well written.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Wed March 31st, 2010, 3:12 am

Just started Jack Whyte's final book of the Templar trilogy "The Order in Chaos"...Curious what JW's spin will be on the demise of the Templars....How will he sort out fact from legend and vice versa?...

javagirl
Reader

Post by javagirl » Wed March 31st, 2010, 4:22 am

Re: Dune
[quote=""Ash""]Oh my - my boyfriend in HS gave that to me; I was about 15, and hadn't really read much sci fi before. Oh my gawd. I've read it several times over the years and it never fails to interest me. It certainly led to several years of all sci fi/fantasy all the time. I'm curious what you didn't like about it?[/quote]

I guess the short answer is that I'm not as interested in fantasy worlds. I've found that the sci-fi I have liked is more the type that I can comprehend being likely to be possible, like high-tech inventions, etc.

I don't have the energy for a longer answer. ;)

Lynn

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed March 31st, 2010, 1:47 pm

[quote=""javagirl""]Re: Dune
I guess the short answer is that I'm not as interested in fantasy worlds. I've found that the sci-fi I have liked is more the type that I can comprehend being likely to be possible, like high-tech inventions, etc.

I don't have the energy for a longer answer. ;)

Lynn[/quote]

Hee, no need! We just have opposite interests; my sci fi has to have more story than science (I love Bradbury and Clark), while my fantasy worlds have to make connections to the current one. To each his own :)

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Wed March 31st, 2010, 2:50 pm

The Somnambulist by Jonathan Barnes
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Wed March 31st, 2010, 5:31 pm

started Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn this morning - not very far into it yet.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Wed March 31st, 2010, 5:55 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]started Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn this morning - not very far into it yet.[/quote]

let us know what you think, I thought it sounded really good.

Return to “Archives”