Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Did You Get Books for the Holidays?

Retired Threads
Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat December 26th, 2009, 2:46 am

Whoa, Sonia, you made that little gift card go a long way! Happy reading!

Speaking of gift cards, my MIL gave me several, one each from my favorite bookstores, bless her heart. Pretty incredible considering she hasn't read a book since HS, and never had books in her house, but loves to support my habit. Love it!

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat December 26th, 2009, 3:16 am

[quote=""robinbird79""]No books. No gift cards. No money.

I can't complain about what I got...but darn. Gonna use some of my leftover Christmas shopping money to get a couple. :) [/quote]

I have to say that sucks. And personally I get a tad annoyed when I say to people look at my wishlist or get me a gift card to a bookstore and people dont like to do it because they feel its the easy way out.

Its like HELLO. I read books. I love historical fiction. I love the Victorian era. I like to do research on this time period. Its like a hobby. If I had a Wii or had some other type of hobby people wouldn't think twice about getting me something for that hobby. Why is it so hard for people to buy books?
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sat December 26th, 2009, 4:22 am

I got one. It was about the Egyptian pyramids. :)

And I am ordering myself a couple biographies tomorrow with X-mas money.

gyrehead
Reader

Post by gyrehead » Sat December 26th, 2009, 3:16 pm

No books. Which is pretty usual as my family and friends have figured out that I like to buy my own books. Unless it is a rare edition or my sister-in-law who works in publishing/publicity and has tons of contacts knows there is a rare arc of a book coming out she can get her hands on. But none of that this year. I think I dropped a bit too many hints about wanting to upgrade my computer center at home to match my work equipment as even gift cards were heavy in tech stores and only a couple of holdouts gave me the usually ubiquitous bookstore Gift Certificate.

It doesn't help that two of my older brothers, every time they are at my house, mutter I have too many books (so sorry that I changed one of the spare bedrooms into more library space at the expense of having somewhere to let the seething brood of siblings' spawn take their little nap; next time just go home when the tykes are tuckered instead of plunking down in front the tv and shuffling the channels every time there is a commercial break). Heresy I know. I'm still not convinced I share the same genes.

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Sun December 27th, 2009, 7:45 am

Just a few this year - i had a lot on my wish-list but forgot to tell people until too late :eek: - a lovely illustrated version of Alice in Wonderland, the 2 Jane Austens I didn't have, and Tuck by Stephen Lawhead.
But my birthday's coming up in 2 weeks, so I'm living in hope that there's a lot more to come :D
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun December 27th, 2009, 1:43 pm

No books for Christmas, but my birthday is tomorrow so maybe I'll get some then.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun December 27th, 2009, 2:29 pm

I got three books for Christmas:

New York by Edward Rutherfurd
Rebels and Traitors by Lindsey Davies
Last Night in Twisted River by John Irving

Secret Santa gifts from here and another:

The Masqueraders by Georgette Heyer
A Lion Among Men by Gregory Maguire
The King's Mistress by Emma Campion
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun December 27th, 2009, 7:40 pm

You see, I hid the one expensive present I got for my husband, and I can't for the life of me remember where!
That happened to me a couple of years ago, though not with an expensive present. I finally found it, many months into the next year!

It's risky for people to buy me books for Christmas, because if it's something sure to please, I'm very likely to have it already. This year, I thought I'd found a winner for my husband - Michael Crichton's Pirate Latitudes. In fact, it was such a winner that he got it for me, too! We had a good laugh about that. At least now we can both read it at the same time, instead of one of us having to wait. It's pretty good so far - a well-researched pirate adventure story in the Captain Blood tradition. I'll have a review up at HistoricalNovels.info in a few days.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

G. Alvin Simons
Reader

Post by G. Alvin Simons » Sun December 27th, 2009, 11:02 pm

Does a Kindle count? I also received $50 gift card from Amazon. For my desire of older reading material, the $50 will go a LONG way. I purchased both the entire Shakespeare & Sherlock Holmes collections for $1.98. Can you imagine? Not only was the price hard to beat it took less than 3 minutes for everything to download. It's also scary. I can see how someone could become addicted to this thing & download more things than they'll ever find time to read & possibly run up a large bill. I'll have to remember the Norse admonition to keep everything in moderation.
Happy Holidays to everyone.

G. Alvin Simons

G. Alvin Simons
Reader

Post by G. Alvin Simons » Sun December 27th, 2009, 11:10 pm

[quote=""Margaret""]That happened to me a couple of years ago, though not with an expensive present. I finally found it, many months into the next year!

It's risky for people to buy me books for Christmas, because if it's something sure to please, I'm very likely to have it already. This year, I thought I'd found a winner for my husband - Michael Crichton's Pirate Latitudes. In fact, it was such a winner that he got it for me, too! We had a good laugh about that. At least now we can both read it at the same time, instead of one of us having to wait. It's pretty good so far - a well-researched pirate adventure story in the Captain Blood tradition. I'll have a review up at HistoricalNovels.info in a few days.[/quote]

I look forward to reading your review. I considered purchasing this myself.
I've enjoyed most of Crichton's books with the exception of The Lost World. I must say that Jurassic Park was incredible. As I read TLW, however, I kept returning to double-check the cover to make sure I wasn't reading JP again! The plot remained the same - only the names were changed to sell more books...

G. Alvin Simons

Return to “Archives”