Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

December 2009: What are you reading?

Retired Threads
diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

December 2009: What are you reading?

Post by diamondlil » Wed December 2nd, 2009, 2:59 am

Share your December reads in this thread.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed December 2nd, 2009, 8:27 am

I'm reading Kept, A Victorian Mystery by D J Taylor. It seems to have quite a few asterisks and notes, plus Appendices! I'm not too sure what's going on at the moment but hoping I will find out soon.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Wed December 2nd, 2009, 1:27 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]I'm reading Kept, A Victorian Mystery by D J Taylor. It seems to have quite a few asterisks and notes, plus Appendices! I'm not too sure what's going on at the moment but hoping I will find out soon.[/quote]

I enjoyed this one - if you like it, check out The American Boy by Andrew Taylor. :)

Re-reading Candlenight by Phil Rickman - perfect creepy winter fare. Anyone else out there discovered this criminally underrated author?
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed December 2nd, 2009, 1:34 pm

Finished Abundance. I didn't like it as well by the end as I did at first. At first it was a page turner, and I loved how she drew MA as a well meaning but clueless ruler (that faux village, ack!). But about 2/3 through it just became harder and harder to read through. I think if she had used a second narrator (maybe her painter, or her young daughter) it would have made it more interesting. Instead it got bogged down in this flowery language of MA's thoughts (I loved the comment about being trapped in a hall of mirrors from the washington post review) Tho the last hundred pages or so were just as good as the beginning, this could have been a much better book, and it could have lost about 100 pages of its bulk. (I'd give it 3 1/2 stars)
Last edited by Ash on Wed December 2nd, 2009, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed December 2nd, 2009, 1:43 pm

[quote=""Leo62""]I enjoyed this one - if you like it, check out The American Boy by Andrew Taylor. :)

Re-reading Candlenight by Phil Rickman - perfect creepy winter fare. Anyone else out there discovered this criminally underrated author?[/quote]

I loved The American Boy! I read it last year.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed December 2nd, 2009, 3:23 pm

Just started The Proud Villeins by Valerie Anand.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Wed December 2nd, 2009, 4:58 pm

The Last Wife of Henry VIII by Carolly Erickson
The Sixth Wife by Jean Plaidy

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed December 2nd, 2009, 5:26 pm

Her Mother's Daughter (Mary I) by Julianne Lee.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Wed December 2nd, 2009, 7:20 pm

BB, how is Her Mother's Daughter? I've been eyeing that; a bit unsure.

I've been reading The House of Wisdom by Jonathan Lyons about the Arab role in the transmission of knowledge. Just finished Lost to the West, a not-so-great book about the Byzantine Empire. (but it was free, thanks to my publisher...) Am about to re-read some Stanley Ellin novels. Have some HF on the sidelines, but nothing that grabs me in my current mood.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Bone China" by Laura Purcell
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Wed December 2nd, 2009, 7:21 pm

[quote=""Leo62""]I enjoyed this one - if you like it, check out The American Boy by Andrew Taylor. :)

Re-reading Candlenight by Phil Rickman - perfect creepy winter fare. Anyone else out there discovered this criminally underrated author?[/quote]

I read The American Boy a few years ago and loved it; I have Kept on a tbr pile somewhere.

I discovered Phil Rickman last year and have all the Merrily Watkins books and a couple of his stand-alone books, haven't got Candlenight though. I have read The Fabric of Sin and loved the mix of crime, history and the supernatural, and Merrily is a great character (a bit like the Vicar of Dibley but not so scatty :) ).
Currently reading: "Bone China" by Laura Purcell

Return to “Archives”