Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

November 2009: What are you Reading?

Retired Threads
MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon November 2nd, 2009, 3:17 am

In return for all my castoffs, my bookseller friend gives me any finds that she thinks I might use. I am now reading A Small Sound of the Trumpet: Women in Medieval Life by Magaret Wade Lebarge and Giovanni and Lusanna: Love and Marriage in Renaissance Florence by Gene Brucker.

Fascinating stuff, but not exactly light entertainment. By the time Wolf Hall arrives, it will seem positively fluffy by comparison!
Last edited by MLE (Emily Cotton) on Mon November 2nd, 2009, 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon November 2nd, 2009, 9:53 am

[quote=""CindyInOz""]I'm about 80 pages into Dorothy Dunnett's Niccolo Rising - gosh it's a complex read, and not one I'll be able to read late at night, but I'm enjoying it so far.

[/quote]

Yes, it is a complex read, very involving and one to concentrate on. I loved it, though.

I'm still reading The Girl on the Landing by Paul Torday. EC, you asked me to let you know what's like - I don't think it is a ghost story now - it's reminding me more of the film 'My Beautiful Mind' with Russell Crowe. I'm enjoying it, however.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon November 2nd, 2009, 4:42 pm

Just started 'Gods Behaving Badly' by Marie Phillips. Seems a bit of harmless fun.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon November 2nd, 2009, 9:19 pm

Posted by CindyInOz
Re Anthony Riches' "Wounds of Honour"
That one sounds like my cup of tea! Please do let me know what you think of it Annis.
I've just posted a few thoughts in the Reviews section, Cindy
http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... #post44103

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Mon November 2nd, 2009, 10:09 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]Just started 'Gods Behaving Badly' by Marie Phillips. Seems a bit of harmless fun.[/quote]

I couldn't finish that one.

Getting ready to start EC's The Time of Singing.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Mon November 2nd, 2009, 10:45 pm

During my lunch break today I started The Russian Concubine.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue November 3rd, 2009, 4:28 am

The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Tue November 3rd, 2009, 10:07 am

[quote=""Tanzanite""]I couldn't finish that one.[/quote]

Yes, I can already see why you mightn't have. Despite a really good first chapter, it's all downhill from there, so far at least. Still, it's not a long book, so I will probably see it through...

erwin27
Scribbler

Post by erwin27 » Tue November 3rd, 2009, 1:45 pm

I have bought a beautiful, illustrated edition of Francis Hodgson Burnett's "The Secret Garden" as a present to one of my wife's grand- nieces. As I have never read this famous book before I will try to get through it before we give it away to the little girl.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue November 3rd, 2009, 1:49 pm

The Secret Garden was a favourite book of mine as a child - probably because it's set in Yorkshire which is where I come from! :D Your copy sounds gorgeous, Erwin, and I hope you enjoy the story. I hope your grand-niece (in-law) enjoys it, too. I'm sure you both will.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Archives”