Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

November 2009: What are you Reading?

Retired Threads
CindyInOz
Reader

Post by CindyInOz » Tue December 1st, 2009, 5:30 am

I've had Byzantium on my TBR pile for some time now, so I might start on that one next.

I've just finished The Unholy Book of Mischief - like you, Lynn, it drew me in immediately and I couldn't put it down. It's the first book I've read in a long time that I did read cover to cover (without picking up something else for a bit of a 'break'). I enjoyed it immensely.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Pine" by Francine Toon
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Tue December 1st, 2009, 11:19 am

I started this last night, and it seems an easy read so far.
Currently reading: "Pine" by Francine Toon

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue December 1st, 2009, 11:42 am

[quote=""javagirl""]
Just finished The Doomsday Book which I ended up enjoying ... probably thinking it was about a 3/5 *'s for the first two thirds of the way, but then a 4/5 for the last third. So I'd probably give it a 3.5/5 overall.

Lynn[/quote]

I didn't finish The Doomsday Book. I got hung up on the prose style which was driving me bonkers and decided that enough was enough. There's a moment about 50 pages in where Kivrin is coming round after she has been sent to the Middle Ages. She opens and closes her eyes so many times in a single paragraph that it must have been like looking at the world through a strobe! I couldn't settle into the story because of such distractions, so decided the book wasn't for me and I abandoned it. I know many readers have loved it and cite it as a best ever, so obviously my wavelength is the wrong one in this case.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

4ever Queen
Reader

Post by 4ever Queen » Tue December 1st, 2009, 5:56 pm

I started The Last Queen by CW Gortner and I am already taken in by his beautiful writing! I feel as I am there seeing everything with my own eyes... :D
"A scar signifies past pain, a wound that did not heal as it ought. But it testifies, too, to survival" (Here Be Dragons)

http://www.sharonkaypenman.com/

http://everythingedward2.com/

G. Alvin Simons
Reader

Post by G. Alvin Simons » Wed December 2nd, 2009, 1:13 am

Thanks for the welcome & I hope that you enjoy the book as much as I did. Jones certainly had a way of creating interesting chracters.

G. Alvin Simons

G. Alvin Simons
Reader

Post by G. Alvin Simons » Wed December 2nd, 2009, 1:22 am

I've also read Lawhead's The Iron Lance & enjoyed it. Not quite as much as Byzantium, but still a good read.

Alvin

javagirl
Reader

Post by javagirl » Wed December 2nd, 2009, 2:38 am

[quote=""EC2""]I didn't finish The Doomsday Book. I got hung up on the prose style which was driving me bonkers and decided that enough was enough. .[/quote]

I found a lot of things distracting, mostly too much repetition without the moving the story forward. Of course the "sci-fi" part is also a little distracting, since it was written in '92 when cell phones were fairly common yet in the book there are numerous cases of importance to the plot where messages were always being left and waited for, people were begged to sit by a phone when someone else couldn't, etc because no one had mobile/cell phones. They had phones with video but not wireless? The doctor had a "bleeper" which just seems like a new name for a pager which was I'm pretty sure was also readily available in 92.

But despite that, I enjoyed another romp through the middle ages and the plot finally got more focused in the last third.

Lynn

javagirl
Reader

Post by javagirl » Wed December 2nd, 2009, 2:41 am

[quote=""4ever Queen""]I started The Last Queen by CW Gortner and I am already taken in by his beautiful writing! I feel as I am there seeing everything with my own eyes... :D [/quote]

Again, I must agree. I read this earlier this year as well and enjoyed the writing. I too felt like I was there and it was very interesting all throughout.

I don't think I would have heard about this book, if it weren't for this forum.

Lynn

Return to “Archives”