Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2011 Edition

Retired Threads
SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Tue June 28th, 2011, 4:07 pm

[quote=""emr""]Reissues: The Far Pavillions and Shadow of the Moon by M.M. Kaye, paperback editions 1 Sep 2011[/quote]

The Far Pavilions has been out here for a couple of months. I spotted it in Waterstones on the Sci-Fi shelves! But haven't seen any sign of the other one yet.

TFP was done for TV and had Ben Cross in it and Omar Sharif in a small part. I can't remember if it was a BBC one or not -- and no it wasn't it was done by HBO.
Last edited by SGM on Tue June 28th, 2011, 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue June 28th, 2011, 4:10 pm

Presumably Shadow of the Moon will be joining it in the Sci Fi section! Don't they bother reading the blurb on the back of the book?
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Tue June 28th, 2011, 4:17 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Presumably Shadow of the Moon will be joining it in the Sci Fi section! Don't they bother reading the blurb on the back of the book?[/quote]

If the ubiquitous Amazon says its not released until September, I wonder if Waterstones also made a mistake with the release date, too. Having owned it once, I will not spend money again but it is definitely one that nowadays I would choose to get for my Kindle. I wish I had waited for Rebels and Traitors on Kindle as well at least that fits in my handbag (purse).
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Tue June 28th, 2011, 7:44 pm

[quote=""emr""]Reissues: The Far Pavillions and Shadow of the Moon by M.M. Kaye, paperback editions 1 Sep 2011[/quote]

Yay! I loved The Far Pavilions and can't wait to read Shadow of the Moon...

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri July 8th, 2011, 1:56 am

Just spotted these two, interesting because they cover personalities and countries not often found in modern HF

I Am Cyrus by Alexander Jovy (due for release Nov. 2011)
"This stunning novel brings to life the enthralling world of Cyrus the Great, the leader of Ancient Persia - the world's first great empire - and the life and times of Cyrus himself, a magnificent leader whose passion won the hearts of his subjects and of two extraordinary women - the wildly beautiful warrior Roshan and the exquisite Cassadane. Cyrus's vision, extraordinarily ahead of its time, of a society where religious tolerance could and should prevail inspired the foundation of his fabulous empire, yet he was ruthless in his conquests, as Ancient Lydia and the fabled city of Babylon - the richest city in the world - fell to him".

And a reissue in English translation, Johannes V Jensen's opus, Fall of the King, due for release Sept 2011
"Taking place during the first half of the sixteenth century, "The Fall of the King" tells the story of dreamy, slacking student Mikkel Thogersen and the entanglements that ultimately bring him into service as a mercenary under King Christian II of Denmark. Moving from the Danish countryside to Stockholm during the execution of Swedish nobility and finally to the imprisonment of Mikkel and Christian, the narrative is a lyrical encapsulation of 'the fall'--the fall of country, history, individuals, and nature."

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu July 21st, 2011, 5:47 pm

Albert: A Life by Jules Stewart. Non-fiction. UK release September 30, 2011; US release December 20, 2011.

Albert, prince consort to Queen Victoria and social and cultural visionary in his own right, defined the culture and direction of nineteenth century Britain--a superpower at the zenith of its influence--more than any other British royal or politician. Although he pleaded with his wife that no monument to his memory should be left (a plea that was to go unheeded by his grieving widow), the role he played in shaping Victorian culture stands today as indisputable proof of the enduring legacy of a man who spent just two decades of his short life in England.

Though overshadowed in history by his adoring wife and at times even mocked by her subjects, it was arguably Albert who gave form and substance to the Victorian Age. From the outset, he strove to win "the respect, the love and the confidence of the Queen and of the nation," pursuing an extraordinary social and cultural crusade that has become his greatest legacy. From the Great Exhibition and the construction of many of London's great museums to his social campaigns against slavery and the Corn Laws, Albert's achievements were truly remarkable--in fact, very few have made such a permanent mark on British society.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu July 21st, 2011, 6:29 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Conqueror by Conn Iggulden. UK release November 10, 2011. Cover subject to change.

It should have been a golden age, an empire to dwarf the lands won by Genghis. Instead, the Mongol nation is slowly losing ground, swallowed whole by their most ancient enemy. A new generation has arisen, yet the shadow of the Great Khan hangs over them all. Only one of four brothers has the vision to stand astride the plains and the cities of jade – and make them both his own. Kublai dreams of a city named Xanadu, the first stone of an empire from sea to sea. To see it built, he must first learn the art of war.

He must take his nation’s warriors to the ends of the known world. When he is weary, when he is wounded, he must face his own brothers in civil war. For the first time in their history, Mongol warriors will face each other on the sea of grass.[/quote]

UK release date now in October; US in December (covers attached)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu July 21st, 2011, 6:30 pm

The Barons' War: Reform and Rebellion by Adrian Jobson. US release November 30, 2011.

Before eventually spiraling into a bitter civil war, a significant section of England’s baronage attempted to transform the governance of the realm by imposing a program of reform that was far more radical and wide ranging than Magna Carta in 1215. Its radicalism was such that nothing like it was to recur until the political upheavals of the seventeenth century.

Simon de Montfort, its champion, was the first leader of a political movement to seize power and govern in the king’s name. The charismatic de Montfort and his forces had captured most of southeastern England by 1263 and at the battle of Lewes in 1264, Henry III was defeated and taken prisoner. De Montfort became de facto ruler of

England and the short period which followed was the closest England was to come to complete abolition of the monarchy until Oliver Cromwell’s Commonwealth of 1649–1660. The Baron’s War brings recent scholarship to a broad readership in a coherent and readable overview.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu August 25th, 2011, 10:37 pm

Elizabeth I by Judith Richards. Non-fiction. UK release September 9, 2011; US release December 30, 2011.

Elizabeth I was Queen of England for almost forty-five years. The daughter of Henry VIII and Ann Boleyn, as an infant she was briefly accepted as her father’s heir. After her mother was executed at her father’s command she was declared illegitimate and led a sometimes scandalous existence until her accession to the throne at the age of twenty-five. Elizabeth oversaw a vibrant age of exploration and literature and established herself, the "Virgin Queen", a national icon that lives on in the popular imagination.

But Elizabeth was England’s second female monarch, and was greatly influenced by the experiences and mistakes of the reign of her half-sister, Mary I, before her. During her reign, Elizabeth had to perform a complicated balancing act in religious matters. As religious wars raged in Europe, Elizabeth herself a moderate Protestant, had to manage an inherited Catholic realm and the demands of zealous Protestants. The importance of such familiar features of Elizabeth’s reign as the presence in England of Mary Queen of Scots and her enduring efforts to take the throne, the Spanish armada, and the origins of English colonial expansion beyond the British archipelago all receive fresh attention in this engaging book.

This new biography sheds light on Elizabeth’s early life, influences and on her personal religious beliefs as well as examining her reign, politics and reassesses Elizabeth’s reluctance to marry, a matter for which she has been much praised, but which is here judged one of the second queen regnant’s more problematic decisions. Judith M. Richards takes an objective and rounded view of Elizabeth’s whole life and provides the perfect introduction for students and general readers alike.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu August 25th, 2011, 10:39 pm

Elizabeth of York by Arlene Naylor Okerlund. Non-fiction. US and UK paperback release October 2011. (The hardback was released a while back but was quite expensive so posting about the paperback in case anyone is interested in something more affordable).

This book tells the story of the queen whose marriage to King Henry VII ended England's Wars of the Roses and inaugurated the 118-year Tudor dynasty. Best known as the mother of Henry VIII and grandmother of Elizabeth I, this Queen Elizabeth contributed far beyond the act of giving birth to future monarchs. Her marriage to Henry VII unified the feuding houses of Lancaster and York, and her popularity with the people helped her husband survive rebellions that plagued his first decade of rule. Queen Elizabeth's gracious manners and large family created a warm, convivial Court marked by a rather exceptional fondness between the royal couple. Her love for music, literature, and architecture also helped inspire England's Renaissance.

Return to “Archives”