Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2011 Edition

Retired Threads
Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu June 23rd, 2011, 4:19 pm

Bessie Blount: The Story of Henry VIII’s Long Time Mistress by Elizabeth Norton. UK release September 15, 2011.

Beautiful, young, exuberant, the amazing life of Elizabeth Blount, Henry VIII's mistress and mother to his first son who came tantalizingly close to succeeding him as King Henry IX. The earliest known, and longest lasting mistress of Henry VIII, Bessie Blount was the king's first love. More beautiful than Anne Boleyn or any of Henry's other wives or concubines, Bessie's beauty and other charms ensured that she turned heads, winning a place at court as one of Catherine of Aragon's ladies. Within months she was partnering the king in dancing and she rose to be the woman with the most influence over Henry, much to Catherine of Aragon's despair. The affair lasted five years (longer than most of Henry's marriages) and in 1519 she bore Henry VIII a son, Henry Fitzroy. As a mark of his importance Cardinal Wolsey was appointed his guardian and godfather.

Supplanted soon after by Mary Boleyn, Bessie's importance rests on the vital proof it gave Henry VIII that he could father a healthy son and through Henry Fitzroy, Bessie remained a prominent figure at court. In the country at large, for proving that the king was capable of fathering a son Bessie prompted the saying 'Bless'ee, Bessie Blount' and her position of mother of such an important child made her an object of interest to many of her contemporaries. Sidelined by historians until now, Bessie and the son she had by the king are one of the great 'what ifs' of English history. If Jane Seymour had not produced a male heir and Bessie's son had not died young aged 17, in all likelihood Henry Fitzroy could have followed his father as King Henry IX and Bessie propelled to the status of mother of the king.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu June 23rd, 2011, 5:49 pm

It seems most if not all of Norton's books get low ratings, so while I would usually be interested in the subjects of her books, I don't want to read mediocre works.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

August Releases

Post by Miss Moppet » Sat June 25th, 2011, 1:48 am

I'm doing my final post before my July hiatus and wondering what is being released in August apart from Juliet Grey's Becoming Marie Antoinette. I had a list, which was based on this thread, of stuff that particularly interested me, but can't now find it - does anyone remember offhand what is coming out in August? (Authors should feel free to mention their own books BTW although I don't promise to include them). :)

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sat June 25th, 2011, 7:03 am

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]I'm doing my final post before my July hiatus and wondering what is being released in August apart from Juliet Grey's Becoming Marie Antoinette. I had a list, which was based on this thread, of stuff that particularly interested me, but can't now find it - does anyone remember offhand what is coming out in August? (Authors should feel free to mention their own books BTW although I don't promise to include them). :) [/quote]

From Goodreads lists. I've skipped the highlanders... :D

Cleopatra's Moon by Vicky Alvear Shecter
The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Pötzsch (translation)
Only Time Will Tell by Jeffrey Archer (1920s)
Three Maids for a Crown: A Novel of the Grey Sisters by Ella March Chase
The Colonel's Lady by Laura Frantz
In a Treacherous Court (Susanna Horenbout and John Parker #1) by Michelle Diener
The Champion by Carla Capshaw
At the King's Pleasure (Secrets of the Tudor Court #4) by Kate Emerson
The Wild Rose (The Tea Rose #3) by Jennifer Donnelly
The Year After by Martin Davies
Marathon: Freedom or Death By Christian Cameron
Defender of Rome by Douglas Jackson
Crucible of Secrets (Alexander Seaton 3) by Shona Maclean
In the Name of the King by A L Berridge
Last edited by emr on Sat June 25th, 2011, 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat June 25th, 2011, 4:16 pm

Cleo's moon is YA.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sat June 25th, 2011, 9:48 pm

Thanks so much emr and Divia! :) I didn't think of checking GR - is there a way to search for forthcoming releases by month?

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sat June 25th, 2011, 11:07 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]Thanks so much emr and Divia! :) I didn't think of checking GR - is there a way to search for forthcoming releases by month?[/quote]

I dont know if the way I know is the only way to do it:
My account - emails - "Send me the monthly New Releases email (preview)" (right click on preview and open a new tab, if you left click it you untick it) - at the bottom "next month" and at the top "by genre" - bottom right "more new releases"
You get a list of mostly vampire books but here and there there are some historicals.
Also amazon.co.uk has a new & future releases list for the next 90 days. I dont see it in amazon.com.
— Frank Zappa

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sun June 26th, 2011, 3:10 am

[quote=""emr""]I dont know if the way I know is the only way to do it:
My account - emails - "Send me the monthly New Releases email (preview)" (right click on preview and open a new tab, if you left click it you untick it) - at the bottom "next month" and at the top "by genre" - bottom right "more new releases"
You get a list of mostly vampire books but here and there there are some historicals.
Also amazon.co.uk has a new & future releases list for the next 90 days. I dont see it in amazon.com.[/quote]

Thank you! I hadn't noticed either of those.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sun June 26th, 2011, 6:44 am

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]Thank you! I hadn't noticed either of those.[/quote]

No problem :)
— Frank Zappa

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Sun June 26th, 2011, 9:29 am

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]Thanks so much emr and Divia! :) I didn't think of checking GR - is there a way to search for forthcoming releases by month?[/quote]

http://www.goodreads.com/new_releases/2011/6

Change the last number to the corresponding month so http://www.goodreads.com/new_releases/2011/7 will show July's releases.

For Amazon, you can also use http://www.jungle-search.com/US/booksearch.php to narrow down forthcoming releases to one month (and lots of other advanced search options). For example, here's Historical Fiction releases for July: http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?node=10 ... irect=true
Jungle Search has options for other countries too - just click the flags at the top.
Last edited by Mythica on Sun June 26th, 2011, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Archives”