Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2011 Edition

Retired Threads
Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu August 25th, 2011, 10:40 pm

Wine of Violence by Priscilla Royal. US and UK reissue October 4, 2011.

It is late summer in the year 1270. Although the Simon de Montfort rebellion is over, the smell of death still hangs over the land. In the small priory of Tyndal, the monks and nuns of the Order of Fontevraud long for a return to routine. Their hopes are dashed, however, when the young and inexperienced Eleanor of Wynethorpe is appointed their new prioress. Only a day after her arrival, a brutally murdered monk is found in the cloister gardens, and Brother Thomas, a young priest with a troubled past, arrives to bring her a more personal grief. Now Eleanor must not only struggle to gain the respect of her terrified and resentful flock but also cope with violence, lust, and greed. The first in the Medieval Mystery series.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu August 25th, 2011, 10:54 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Praetorian Guard by Simon Scarrow. UK release November 10, 2011.

The brand new thrilling Roman adventure from the bestselling author of THE LEGION and THE GLADIATOR.

The city of Rome in AD 50 is a dangerous place. Treachery lurks on every corner, and a shadowy Republican movement, 'the Liberators', has spread its tentacles wide. It is feared that the heart of the latest plot lies in the ranks of the Praetorian Guard. Uncertain of whom he can trust, the Imperial Secretary Narcissus summons to Rome two courageous men guaranteed to be loyal to the grave: army veterans Prefect Cato and Centurion Macro.

Tasked with infiltrating the Guard, Cato and Macro face a daunting test to win the trust of their fellow soldiers. No sooner have they begun to unearth the details of the Liberators' devious plan than disaster strikes: an old enemy who could identify them, with deadly consequences, makes an unexpected appearance. Now they face a race against time to save their own lives before they can unmask the mastermind behind the Liberators...[/quote]

cover attached (and slight title change)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Fri August 26th, 2011, 4:34 am

Oh, I think I did to visit Rome soon.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Wed September 21st, 2011, 10:27 pm

Conquest by Julian Stockwin. US release October 1, 2011 (previously released in the UK in June 2011).

Victory at the Battle of Trafalgar removed the spectre of invasion and England is now free to seek conquests and colonies in the furthest reaches of the world.

Captain Kydd joins an expedition to take Dutch-held Cape Town, a strategic imperative to secure the rich trade-route to India. But even if the British can defeat the enemy and take possession of the capital, there is still more fighting to be done.

Kydd and his men must defend the fragile colony from attacks by the enemy from all sides, while braving the wild beasts and hostile environment of Africa's vast and savage hinterland.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed September 21st, 2011, 10:37 pm

I don't read many Kydd novels, but when I do, I always enjoy them.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Wed October 19th, 2011, 8:16 pm

The Stuart Age: England 1603-1774 by Barry Coward. Non-fiction. US reissue December 19, 2011.

The Stuart Age is widely recognised as the best general book on the period. Now in its fourth edition, it provides a definitive and up-to-date history of England's century of civil war and revolution.

Barry Coward addresses the major themes of the time, from the causes of the English Civil War and the nature of the English Revolution, to the aims and achievements of Oliver Cromwell, the continuation of religious passion in the politics of Restoration England, and the impact on Britain of the Glorious Revolution. The book also covers the relevant history of Scotland and Ireland, and gives comprehensive treatment of economic, social, intellectual, and political and religious history.

This fully revised edition includes the following features:

- carefully selected illustrations integrated into the text
- a new larger format
- text boxes covering key ideas, events and figures
- up-to-date introductions to the most important historiographical issues

The late Barry Coward was Emeritus Professor of the School of History, Classics and Archaeology at Birkbeck College, University of London. His many publications include Oliver Cromwell (2000) and A Companion to Stuart Britain (2008).

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Wed October 19th, 2011, 8:36 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]The Stuart Age: England 1603-1774 by Barry Coward. Non-fiction. US reissue December 19, 2011.
[/quote]

I used to dismiss this book as being tediously text-book-like but went back to it last year and changed my mind completely. It is an exceptionally good accompaniment to the 17th century from James I to William III.

Somewhere on the National Archives website you can listen to his talk "Was Cromwell a military tyrant?"

Unfortunately, since Barry Cowar's retirement, Birkbeck's History Department seems lest invested in the 17th century.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Return to “Archives”