Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2011 Edition

Retired Threads
Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Tue March 15th, 2011, 11:47 pm

As yet Untitled Saxon book – Bernard Cornwell. UK release October 13, 2011.
The sixth novel in Cornwell’s Making of England series, following on from the bestselling THE BURNING LAND.

As the ninth century wanes, England appears about to be plunged into chaos once more. For the Viking-raised but Saxon-born warrior, Uhtred, whose life seems to shadow the making of England, this presents him with difficult choices. King Alfred is dying and his passing threatens the island of Britain to renewed warfare. Alfred wants his son, Edward, to succeed him but there are other Saxon claimants to the throne as well as ambitious pagan Vikings to the north.

Uhtred‘s loyalty – and his vows – were to Alfred, not to his son, and despite his long years of service to Alfred, he is still not committed to the Saxon cause. His own desire is to reclaim his long lost lands and castle to the north. But the challenge to him, as the king’s warrior, is that he knows that he will either be the means of making Alfred’s dream of a united and Christian England come to pass or be responsible for condemning it to oblivion.
This novel is a dramatic story of the power of tribal commitment and the terrible difficulties of divided loyalties. This is the making of England magnificently brought to life by the master of historical fiction.
Last edited by Tanzanite on Tue March 15th, 2011, 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Tue March 15th, 2011, 11:54 pm

Praetorian Guard by Simon Scarrow. UK release November 10, 2011.

The brand new thrilling Roman adventure from the bestselling author of THE LEGION and THE GLADIATOR.

The city of Rome in AD 50 is a dangerous place. Treachery lurks on every corner, and a shadowy Republican movement, 'the Liberators', has spread its tentacles wide. It is feared that the heart of the latest plot lies in the ranks of the Praetorian Guard. Uncertain of whom he can trust, the Imperial Secretary Narcissus summons to Rome two courageous men guaranteed to be loyal to the grave: army veterans Prefect Cato and Centurion Macro.

Tasked with infiltrating the Guard, Cato and Macro face a daunting test to win the trust of their fellow soldiers. No sooner have they begun to unearth the details of the Liberators' devious plan than disaster strikes: an old enemy who could identify them, with deadly consequences, makes an unexpected appearance. Now they face a race against time to save their own lives before they can unmask the mastermind behind the Liberators...

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed March 16th, 2011, 12:56 am

[quote=""Tanzanite""]The Favored Queen by Carolly Erickson. US release September 27, 2011.

From The New York Times bestselling author of The Last Wife of Henry VIII comes a powerful and moving novel about Jane Seymour, third wife of Henry VIII, who married him only days after the execution of Anne Boleyn and ultimately lost her own life in giving him the son he badly needed to guarantee the Tudor succession

Born into an ambitious noble family, young Jane Seymour is sent to Court as a Maid of Honor to Catherine of Aragon, Henry VIII’s aging queen. She is devoted to her mistress and watches with empathy as the calculating Anne Boleyn contrives to supplant her as queen. Anne’s single-minded intriguing threatens all who stand in her way; she does not hesitate to arrange the murder of a woman who knows a secret so dark that, if revealed, would make it impossible for the king to marry Anne.
Once Anne becomes queen, no one at court is safe, and Jane herself becomes the object of Anne’s venomous rage when she suspects Jane has become the object of the king’s lust. Henry, fearing that Anne’s inability to give him a son is a sign of divine wrath, asks Jane to become his next queen. Deeply reluctant to embark on such a dangerous course, Jane must choose between her heart and her loyalty to the king.

Acclaimed biographer and bestselling novelist Carolly Erickson weaves another of her irresistible historical entertainments about the queen who finally gave Henry VIII his longed for heir, set against the excitement and danger of the Tudor Court.[/quote]

Oh goody, another *historical entertainment*.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed March 16th, 2011, 1:26 am

[quote=""Tanzanite""]The Darkening Green by David Liss. US release October 11, 2011.
The critically acclaimed historical suspense novelist turns in a new direction with this gripping novel set in Regency England, featuring an unforgettable heroine and a touch of magic. Lucy Derrick is a young Regency woman of good breeding and poor finances: after the death of her father, she is forced to maintain a shabby dignity as an unwanted boarder with her unpleasant uncle, fending off marriage to the local mill owner, Mr. Olson. But her prospects of even that unwanted match are complicated by the appearance of a beautiful stricken man who appears on the family doorstep begging her not to marry Mr. Olson just as he collapses. This appearance seems to open the door to a series of increasingly strange occurrences surrounding Lucy. Soon it becomes clear that there is more at stake than her own happiness—and that she is caught between two forces, one ancient and one modern—and that the soul of her very country is at stake.[/quote]

WTF? This sounds like regency romance crossed with grail quest thriller and not at all like Liss' usual style. Has he recently undergone a personality change of some sort?

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed March 16th, 2011, 2:03 am

I was all excited about the Catherine book until I found out it was non fiction. :(
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed March 16th, 2011, 2:28 am

I read Massie bio of Peter the Great a few decades ago, it actually took me a long time. I started it, put it down and came back to it like a year later, it's a long arse book!

It's only March, it's too long away to think about late Nov right now, yeesh!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Wed March 16th, 2011, 3:36 am

[quote=""Divia""]I was all excited about the Catherine book until I found out it was non fiction. :( [/quote]

There is supposedly a fiction one coming out about her called The Winter Palace by Eva Stachniak (I think in 2012) but so far I haven't been able to find out anything more than that.

Matt Phillips
Reader

Post by Matt Phillips » Wed March 16th, 2011, 6:16 pm

[quote=""annis""]WTF? This sounds like regency romance crossed with grail quest thriller and not at all like Liss' usual style. Has he recently undergone a personality change of some sort?[/quote]

I was hoping he'd do a sequel to The Whiskey Rebels, or even better, a prequel, going into Saunders's work with Fleet as a spy during the Revolution.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed March 16th, 2011, 8:23 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]There is supposedly a fiction one coming out about her called The Winter Palace by Eva Stachniak (I think in 2012) but so far I haven't been able to find out anything more than that.[/quote]

Oh! Excellent. :)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Post by Jemidar » Sat March 19th, 2011, 4:02 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]The Traitor's Kiss by Pauline Francis. UK release July 1, 2011.

This is the captivating true story of the young Elizabeth I, as she struggles to survive the treacherous world of Tudor England. After the death of her father, Henry VIII, a young Elizabeth journeys to London to live with her father's widow, Katherine Parr, and her new husband, Thomas Seymour, brother-in-law to King Edward. Surrounded by malicious whisperings of her late mother's witchcraft, Elizabeth is desperate to escape suspicion and discover the truth about her mother. A young stranger asserting Anne's Boleyn's innocence sends her on search a that takes her on a dangerous midnight journey to Bedlam, the hospital for the insane, to meet her mother's former lady-in-waiting. This encounter changes the way she views her mother - and herself. Meanwhile, at home, Elizabeth's reputation is increasingly under threat, as her stepfather, Thomas Seymour makes unwanted advances toward her. Her stepmother witnesses a kiss and Elizabeth is sent back to Hertfordshire in disgrace. Here she falls seriously ill and rumours abound that she is hiding a pregnancy. When Thomas Seymour is arrested for treason in a plot to overthrow King Edward, Elizabeth is implicated by association. Now it is up to her to defend her integrity - and her life...From the author of the best-selling Raven Queen comes a new masterpiece of historical fiction.[/quote]

Is this young adult?
Jenny

"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Currently Reading:

Return to “Archives”