Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Suggestions for October 2009 Book of the Month

Retired Threads
diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Suggestions for October 2009 Book of the Month

Post by diamondlil » Wed August 19th, 2009, 1:29 pm

No theme for this month. One nomination per person please, and be sure to leave me the full title and author so that I can find the right details for the poll. Please also bear in mind that your nomination may have a better chance of being chosen if it is a book that is readily available and not out of print.

This thread will close on 24 August.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed August 19th, 2009, 1:54 pm

Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon. We should all have our hot little hands on it by October.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed August 19th, 2009, 3:30 pm

Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran (It's being released on September 15.)
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed August 19th, 2009, 3:59 pm

I nominate Emma by Jane Austen.

I need to reread it. And BBC has a new miniseries of Emma that is set to air in October. Romola Garai and Jonny Lee Miller star. Cast also include Michael Gambon, Christina Cole, Johdi May, and Blake Ritson.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed August 19th, 2009, 4:08 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]And BBC has a new miniseries of Emma that is set to air in October. [/quote]

Again? Another one?

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed August 19th, 2009, 4:14 pm

[quote=""Susan""]Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran (It's being released on September 15.)[/quote]

Oh! You took my suggestion :)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Lost Manby Jane Harper & The Last Hours" by Minette Walters
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Wed August 19th, 2009, 4:22 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon. We should all have our hot little hands on it by October.[/quote]

Er, not in the UK! Just looked at Amazon and they say it's not due out til next Jan.

Agree about yet another version of Emma on TV, I think Austen has been well and truly overdone by now.
Currently reading "The Last Hours" by Minette Walters & "The Lost Man" by Jane Harper

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed August 19th, 2009, 5:07 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Er, not in the UK! Just looked at Amazon and they say it's not due out til next Jan.[/quote]

Sorry, had no idea.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu August 20th, 2009, 5:07 pm

I've been having the same problem trying to nominate a book, in that when I look it up on Fantastic Fiction, it's not available in the US until a later date! Why do they stagger the publishing dates??

Anyway, I was wondering if I could nominated The Tenth Gift (aka Crossed Bones) by Jane Johnson? Some of it is set in the present day, but it's actually based on the life of one of the author's ancestors who was kidnapped by pirates! Here's the blurb:

On a Sunday morning in July 1625, Barbary pirates sail into a quiet Cornish bay and storm the church. Their loot: sixty men, women and children, kidnapped and bound for northern Morocco, where they are to be sold in the thronging slave market of the Souq el Ghezel. Amongst them is Catherine Anne Tregenna, a talented young embroiderer. But as her diary reveals, Cat is anything but the subservient and compliant slave that her captors were expecting; and as the coast of England fades from sight, adventure beckons in the East . . . In an exclusive London restaurant, a gift is given that will change Julia Lovat's life. The antique book of Jacobean embroidery delights her, but when she settles down to read it more closely, she unexpectedly discovers within its foxed and faded pages the extraordinary diary of a young Cornish girl, calling to her from across the centuries . . .The stories of these two women are destined to converge in an extraordinary and haunting manner.With handsome pirates, beautiful slave girls, exotic mysteries and Moroccan markets, Crossed Bones is an enthralling adventure of the high seas, based on the real-life raids on the Cornish coast by 17th century Barbary corsairs.

It sounds like fun and it's been on my TBR pile for a while!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu August 20th, 2009, 8:54 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Agree about yet another version of Emma on TV, I think Austen has been well and truly overdone by now.[/quote]

I don't think it can be considered overdone before it's been done right. And Emma hasn't.

Return to “Archives”