Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

July 2009: What are you Reading?

Retired Threads
Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri July 3rd, 2009, 11:51 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]I've read the first chapter and I am just working my way through it in a leisurely fashion![/quote]

marg, can't wait to see what you think of it. I've posted my review of it in the usual spot, and did find their blog online. It's just as wild as the book.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat July 4th, 2009, 2:03 am

I've finished "Maine's Coastal Cemeteries: A Historic Tour" by Karen Wentworth Batignani. Interesting, though again I wish there were more images of the stones, etc.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Sat July 4th, 2009, 4:35 pm

Yesterday, I began Twilight of a Queen, the fifth book in the Dark Queen series by Susan Carroll. I haven't read the other four books in the series, and didn't know if that would hamper my enjoyment of this book, but I'm not confused so far.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat July 4th, 2009, 7:24 pm

I've finished "Haunting Museums: The Strange and Uncanny Stories Behind the Most Mysterious Exhibits" by John Schuster (with essays by others). Despite it's title it isn't about haunted museums, though there are a few essays in it that talk about hauntings at the museums they discuss, but it's mostly about some interesting artifacts and items found at various museums around the world.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Sat July 4th, 2009, 10:23 pm

[quote=""Kasthu""]Yesterday, I began Twilight of a Queen, the fifth book in the Dark Queen series by Susan Carroll. I haven't read the other four books in the series, and didn't know if that would hamper my enjoyment of this book, but I'm not confused so far.[/quote]

I am currently reading The Silver Rose, which is book 3 in the series. Carroll has a nice writing style, though with just a touch too much "fey eyes". But I can forgive her that!

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Sat July 4th, 2009, 10:52 pm

[quote=""Kasthu""]Yesterday, I began Twilight of a Queen, the fifth book in the Dark Queen series by Susan Carroll. I haven't read the other four books in the series, and didn't know if that would hamper my enjoyment of this book, but I'm not confused so far.[/quote]

I didn't think that came out until later this month. I'm looking forward to it- it was actually the first book in the series that got me started on historical fiction.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun July 5th, 2009, 9:05 am

I have the first four in this series on my TBR pile, so shall be interested in this one.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

TLee
Reader

Post by TLee » Sun July 5th, 2009, 3:02 pm

I started EAST OF THE SUN by Julia Gregson yesterday and I am enjoying it very much. Stayed up much too late last night reading.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sun July 5th, 2009, 3:09 pm

I started Jude Morgan's The Taste of Sorrow last night (about the Brontes) and it's excellent so far.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sun July 5th, 2009, 3:30 pm

[quote=""Ariadne""]I started Jude Morgan's The Taste of Sorrow last night (about the Brontes) and it's excellent so far.[/quote]

I hadn't heard of that! I loved The King's Touch.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Return to “Archives”