Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

July 2009: What are you Reading?

Retired Threads
Spitfire
Reader

Post by Spitfire » Wed December 9th, 2009, 5:14 pm

I just finished Gortner's "Last Queen" wow! I have already recommended it to all my H.F. reader friends!
I picked up "A Lady Raised High" by Laurien Gardner in a bargain bin, it is about one of Anne Boleyn's ladies. I am kind of Tutor'd out right now, but thought I would give it a try. I am forty pages in, and pretty good so far.
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed December 9th, 2009, 5:27 pm

I just started the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Thu December 10th, 2009, 1:40 pm

You guys are living in the past :D
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu December 10th, 2009, 4:57 pm

[quote=""emr""]You guys are living in the past :D [/quote]

Tee hee. Well, I for one would love it to be back in July. It would be sunny (well, it might be), I would be five months younger and there'd be lots more reading days left in the year!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu December 10th, 2009, 5:09 pm

I was beginning to wonder. I definitely thought I'd been doing a bit of time travelling! LOL. And if it were really July, I'm super efficient and organised as I have done most of my Christmas shopping. :D As it is, my mind is going round and round in a whirl of tinsel, wrapping paper and food! :rolleyes:
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri December 11th, 2009, 1:23 am

Nope, no July for me thank goodness. I don't need more 109 degrees with 30% humidity in my life. Its a nice brisk 57 right now, just right to enjoy my winter in the desert.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri December 11th, 2009, 12:16 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Nope, no July for me thank goodness. I don't need more 109 degrees with 30% humidity in my life. Its a nice brisk 57 right now, just right to enjoy my winter in the desert.[/quote]

That'd be sunny and warm over here! ;)
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Sharz
Reader

Post by Sharz » Fri December 11th, 2009, 5:23 pm

It would be downright balmy.

~looking out at sunny but 15 degrees that feels like 2.~

Return to “Archives”