Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

July 2009: What are you Reading?

Retired Threads
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun July 19th, 2009, 8:35 am

"Hodd" by Adam Thorpe. Robin Hood as you've never seen him! A brilliant evocation of a medieval mindset.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun July 19th, 2009, 11:50 am

Finger Lickin' Fifteen by Janet Evanovich. When I finish that I have to choose between Grave Good by Ariana Franklin, The Dark Rose by Cynthia Harrod Eagles or The Rosary Girls by Richard Montanari. I am leaning towards The Dark Rose.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Sun July 19th, 2009, 4:07 pm

Still reading A Clash of Kings. In fact, I haven't read much of it ... I've had other things to do in the last week or so and haven't done a whole lot of reading, so I'm only about 150pg in.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sun July 19th, 2009, 8:35 pm

I've finished up Jude Morgan's The Taste of Sorrow (review forthcoming on my blog) and just started Maggie Anton's Rashi's Daughters: Joheved.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Sun July 19th, 2009, 8:37 pm

[quote=""annis""]"Hodd" by Adam Thorpe. Robin Hood as you've never seen him! A brilliant evocation of a medieval mindset.[/quote]
Just finished this. It really gets the whole religious thing doesn't it? But what do you think about the footnotes? :eek: :p

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun July 19th, 2009, 8:50 pm

Finally got done with What Would Jane Austen Do? Very silly, very fluffy and well, I didn't care for it much... Now onto either another Ann Rule anthology or Girl in a Blue Dress.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun July 19th, 2009, 9:15 pm

Just finished Elizabeth Chadwick's The Greatest Knight and am about to start Karen Maitland's Company of Liars.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Sun July 19th, 2009, 11:36 pm

I just finished Michelle's "Cleopatra's Daughter", and am now nearly finished with a very thin but very brilliant and fascinating book about the uses and abuses of history by Margaret Macmillan. Highly, highly recommended. I also picked up a copy of Jeanne Kalogridis's book about Catherine de Medici yesterday -- look forward to comparing it with what CW will be coming out with in the new year!

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon July 20th, 2009, 12:31 am

[quote=""Chatterbox""]I just finished Michelle's "Cleopatra's Daughter", and am now nearly finished with a very thin but very brilliant and fascinating book about the uses and abuses of history by Margaret Macmillan. Highly, highly recommended. ![/quote]

Sounds interesting - whats it called?

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Mon July 20th, 2009, 12:55 am

The title is "Dangerous Games". It's very thoughtful -- she is drawing on all the history she knows (emphasis on the 19th/20th centuries, not surprisingly) to make her case. The result is not only a compelling argument, but an important one, IMO.

Return to “Archives”