Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

July 2009: What are you Reading?

Retired Threads
Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sun July 5th, 2009, 3:49 pm

A UK friend was raving about it on Facebook, so I snagged it from Book Depository. I didn't want to wait until it came out in the US!

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Sun July 5th, 2009, 6:18 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]I didn't think that came out until later this month. I'm looking forward to it- it was actually the first book in the series that got me started on historical fiction.[/quote]

I was actually offered an advance copy of it--but you're right, it doesn't come out until the 21st. I was taking a huge gamble, actually, by accepting, but I'm glad I did.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun July 5th, 2009, 10:30 pm

Finished Winter in Madrid. Meh. I'm now starting A Secret Alchemy by Emma Darwin.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

catholicone
Scribbler

Post by catholicone » Mon July 6th, 2009, 2:44 am

Mistress of the Sun by Sandra Gulland, should be done by the end of the week (finally! Life has been cutting into my reading time :)

Next I'll read Rocamora, looking forward to it.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Mon July 6th, 2009, 3:43 am

Reading a Oldie But Goodie....A.B. Guthrie's 1947 "The Big Sky"....a timeless classic read....ABG's descriptive words puts you right there....Amazing writer
Last edited by chuck on Mon July 6th, 2009, 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon July 6th, 2009, 7:37 pm

I'm just about to start A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Mon July 6th, 2009, 11:06 pm

Getting ready to start Blood Royal by Vanora Bennett.

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Tue July 7th, 2009, 9:34 am

"A Clash of Kings," by George R.R. Martin

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Tue July 7th, 2009, 10:26 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Finished Winter in Madrid. Meh. I'm now starting A Secret Alchemy by Emma Darwin.[/quote]

Ha! I just downloaded Secret Alchemy on my Kindle on a whim last night. I sampled the first bit (which you can do on Kindle) and since there was only one reference to Melusine ;) I snapped it up. Quite like the writing style.

Just arrived in my mailbox: Brian Wainwright's two novels. The Adventures of Alianore Audley looks hilarious -- kind of Pythonesque... (as in Monty, natch...)

And Michelle's book has just shipped!! Should/may be here by the weekend. You know, I'm already feeling depressed as if I had already read it and knowing there was no more of Michelle-writing-about-ancient-Egypt left to come in the near future?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue July 7th, 2009, 11:36 pm

[quote=""Chatterbox""]Ha! I just downloaded Secret Alchemy on my Kindle on a whim last night. I sampled the first bit (which you can do on Kindle) and since there was only one reference to Melusine ;) I snapped it up. Quite like the writing style.

Just arrived in my mailbox: Brian Wainwright's two novels. The Adventures of Alianore Audley looks hilarious -- kind of Pythonesque... (as in Monty, natch...) [/quote]

Cool, I was going to start a thread on Alchemy at the R3 Group at Goodreads when I was further into it and we can chit chat. I think BB's read it already if I'm not mistaken.

Adventures of Alianore Audley - hysterical. I need to read it again as I know more about the period now and will probably get more of the jokes :)

Within the Fetterlock - not an easy read but wow.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “Archives”