Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat September 6th, 2008, 9:36 pm

[quote=""Ash""]
To those fans, which books should I go for next by her?[/quote]

you can't go wrong with any of her books but I loved Winter Mantle, Lords of White Castle, Falcons of Montrabard and Marsh Kings Daughter, the Wild Hunt is a very good book too. I haven't read The Love Knot but heard it was really good.
Last edited by diamondlil on Sat September 6th, 2008, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixing quotations

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat September 6th, 2008, 9:45 pm

[quote=""Ash""]The Greatest Knight by Eliz Chadwick. This is my first by her, egged on by many other HF fans. This will not be my last!

I would continue on with the Marshal books - The Scarlet Lion and A Place Beyond Courage and then go back to earlier books.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat September 6th, 2008, 9:52 pm

[quote=""Ash""]The Greatest Knight by Eliz Chadwick. This is my first by her, egged on by many other HF fans. This will not be my last!

If I can chip in Ash :o I would say The Scarlet Lion because it follows on from the Greatest Knight.

Best
EC2 (alias Eliz Chad) :)

Whoops, just seen Diamondlil's posted with the same advice - sorry!
Last edited by EC2 on Sat September 6th, 2008, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Reading at in-box instead of at the forum!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat September 6th, 2008, 9:57 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I've got that one going at the gym (which means 30 mins a day during cardio). That Valois family - what a piece of work they are.[/quote]

Nona, Misfit, I've enjoyed most of Hawley Jarman's work, but Crown in Candlelight is my favourite - perhaps because it covers a less well documented time in English history compared to say the Tudors.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat September 6th, 2008, 9:57 pm

[quote=""nona""]I know nothing about them, I bought the book cause I saw EC had recommended it on the old forum and you can't go wrong there. So what about the Valois family that is a piece of work?[/quote]

I didn't know much about them either until I started the book. Katherine's father is a raving lunatic and her mother is half mad and sleeping around whilst letting the kids live like paupers. I won't say any more but watch out for this one banquet scene. Eeeewww.

I know Dumas wrote a series on the Valois family that will be next in line when I'm in the mood for a multibook Dumas read. Just finishing up the sixth in his French Revolution series so it'll be a while.
Last edited by Misfit on Sat September 6th, 2008, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat September 6th, 2008, 10:09 pm

Ash, about darn time. What took you so long? I second DL's and EC's rec's. My two cents, it can be what you're in the mood for. EC's older books are based upon fictional characters and have a bit more of a romance feel to them, but very well written none the less. The Marsh King's Daughter and The Conquest were flat out unputdownable IMO. The Greatest Knight, The Scarlet Lion and A Place Beyond Courage are excellent and based upon real people and real lives, and although they have a strong love interest they aren't something that I'd not recommend them as a first outing to a historical romance reader.

They'll good, you can't go wrong IMO. Over on the Listmanias thread I posted a link I've done on Amazon to all of EC's books. Don't want readers to get confused and order that other Chadwick from the US. :o

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat September 6th, 2008, 10:33 pm

I have been pacing myself with EC's books, so I don't get burnt out, nor do I run out of something new to read by her. One a month... heh.

I fear I am going to have to set aside North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell -- I can not seem to get into it at all, despite trying very hard to do so. Very frustrating, as I have really enjoyed the other two books that I've read by her. I think I will go on ahead and watch the miniseries, and then try to read the book again, and see if that works.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Sun September 7th, 2008, 12:13 am

Can I just say how fabulous you all are?? I came to this thread to complain about how I couldn't decide which book to read. I was debating between Silent in the Grave and The Light Bearer! Now after reading the last few comments I'm reading EC's The Conquest. I've been wanting to read it forever but I too space out (aka "hoard") her books but now is the time!!! :D
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun September 7th, 2008, 12:17 am

>EC2 (alias Eliz Chad)

Um, as in Eliz Chadwick?

Oh, and thanks guys, thats a great help (Misfit, have I told you about my TBR stack? There is a reason why its taken me a while! :)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun September 7th, 2008, 12:21 am

[quote=""1lila1""]Can I just say how fabulous you all are?? I came to this thread to complain about how I couldn't decide which book to read. I was debating between Silent in the Grave and The Light Bearer! Now after reading the last few comments I'm reading EC's The Conquest. I've been wanting to read it forever but I too space out (aka "hoard") her books but now is the time!!! :D [/quote]

:) :) What is it Telynor says? "I need a Chadwick"

I know I've said it on *cough* another board, but after A Place Beyond Courage last year I wall banged I don't know how many books until I ended up settling into a reread of Shadows and Strongholds. Nothing else would do.

Return to “Archives”