Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Wed October 29th, 2008, 7:15 pm

[quote=""annis""]Carla's right. Although there was an outdoor form of the game known as ground billiards played in Europe in the thirteenth/fourteenth centuries (still too early by a century or so for MOTATD), the first recorded instances of an indoor version date from the fifteenth century (the green cover is supposed to represent the grass of the outdoor version).

Diana Norman has spent a lot of time in the twelfth century (her earliest novels "Fitzempress' Law" and "King of the Last Days" are set in that period) so it's a bit surprising that she'd get it wrong.[/quote]

I suppose it can always be argued that "first recorded" isn't necessarily the same as "first used", especially when the sources are patchy, as they usually are. Is Arianna Franklin a pen name of Diana Norman? I can never keep track.
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed October 29th, 2008, 7:38 pm

Yes Ariana Franklin is Diana Norman's pen name.

I am going to be starting The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson on the train this morning.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Lady Kippen
Scribbler

Post by Lady Kippen » Wed October 29th, 2008, 7:48 pm

Almost finished with My Enemy's Cradle by Sara Young. I'm really enjoying it. I didn't even know that the Nazi's had a program like that. It's funny because the first time I picked up the book I couldn't get into it. But, I'm so glad I gave it a second chance.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed October 29th, 2008, 9:11 pm

[quote=""annis""]Carla's right. Although there was an outdoor form of the game known as ground billiards played in Europe in the thirteenth/fourteenth centuries (still too early by a century or so for MOTATD), the first recorded instances of an indoor version date from the fifteenth century (the green cover is supposed to represent the grass of the outdoor version).

Diana Norman has spent a lot of time in the twelfth century (her earliest novels "Fitzempress' Law" and "King of the Last Days" are set in that period) so it's a bit surprising that she'd get it wrong.[/quote]

She is getting one heck of a lot wrong but all in the small detail that probably wouldn't bother most folk but it is doing my head in. I love her voice, I love the way the story is developing. Her Henry II is a wily, cheeky chappy, very different from SKP's portrayal and a bit tongue in cheek - but terrific. She obviously knows who was who, but she is getting a lot of the fine detail wrong and saying things like Henry's head was round like a 'cannon ball.' Rather like the billiards with a green baize board, that statement whipped me straight out of the story like a slap. They didn't have cannon balls then. I'm nearly sure that pewter pilgrim badges came later. Evidence for Pewter working as an industry dates to the late 13thC They didn't have heraldry on the tabards then. Heck, most of them didn't have tabards. It's emerging as all very Chaucerian somehow. Enjoyable, but irritating at the same time.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

MrsMorland
Reader

Post by MrsMorland » Wed October 29th, 2008, 10:03 pm

Just about to crack open Here Be Dragons by Penman. Never read any of her books before and looking forward to it!

KingEricCantona7
Scribbler

Post by KingEricCantona7 » Wed October 29th, 2008, 10:19 pm

I'm currently on page 368 of Devil's Brood. I'm not doing too badly considering I only read during the last 45 minutes of my lunch hour and only started it on the 20th.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu October 30th, 2008, 1:07 am

[quote=""MrsMorland""]Just about to crack open Here Be Dragons by Penman. Never read any of her books before and looking forward to it![/quote]

You are in for a treat. Penman's best.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu October 30th, 2008, 1:12 am

Almost finished with My Enemy's Cradle by Sara Young. I'm really enjoying it
Snap, Lady Kippen! I've just finished "My Enemy's Cradle" and mentioned it on the WWII thread earlier.

Michelle2
Scribbler

Post by Michelle2 » Thu October 30th, 2008, 1:22 am

I read My Enemy's Cradle earlier in the year and loved it!
I've had such a busy, changing year for me and have done such little reading. :( A co-worker lent me an Ann Rule book (true crime) and I'm loving it. I hadn't read her for a few years, I had forgotten what a great writer she is.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu October 30th, 2008, 1:35 am

A co-worker lent me an Ann Rule book (true crime) and I'm loving it.
Which one is it? I don't read true crime anymore, but she's the grande dame of the true crime genre. It's been years but Small Sacrifices still sends chills down my spine just thinking of Diane Downs.

Return to “Archives”