Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sun December 21st, 2008, 8:41 pm

I just started Stewart O'Nan's Last Night at the Lobster, because it takes place in the area where I grew up (central Connecticut) in the days before Christmastime. When I was in high school, I spent some time working in a restaurant right where he places the Red Lobster of the title, so I can picture the setting exactly and actually get all of the local references. That hardly ever happens.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Sun December 21st, 2008, 10:46 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Is this your first time reading Dunnett? I haven't read this series but she does take some getting used to.[/quote]

This is my first time reading Dunnett. I do like the descriptions, but she takes a while to get anywhere with it.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun December 21st, 2008, 11:12 pm

[quote=""Kasthu""]This is my first time reading Dunnett. I do like the descriptions, but she takes a while to get anywhere with it.[/quote]

I loved the Lymond Chronicles, they were jolly good fun. Which reminds me, I never posted my reviews of those on this site......better get to it :)

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon December 22nd, 2008, 12:30 am

The Conqueror by Georgette Heyer. Enjoying it so far.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Mon December 22nd, 2008, 4:32 am

Reverte's "the Kings Gold" is on hold until I finish Lisser's "The Whiskey Rebels"....a great read....a little told tale of the 1790's Whiskey Rebellion.....the Revolutionary vets are being scammed by the young American Government and led by the ambitious greed driven cronies and colleagues of a founding father Alexander Hamilton.....Amazing how time flies when your reading a compelling and interesting historical novel.....Can't remember the last time I devoured a book....probably a Cornwell or Low novel.......

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon December 22nd, 2008, 1:54 pm

I'm just about to start Mr Timothy by Louis Bayard.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

leehow
Reader

Post by leehow » Mon December 22nd, 2008, 7:05 pm

The Take by Graham Hurley

lindymc
Reader

Post by lindymc » Mon December 22nd, 2008, 7:22 pm

Reading The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons and enjoying it. I think somebody on this forum recommended it very highly. Thanks.
She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873) -- Louisa May Alcott

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Mon December 22nd, 2008, 7:35 pm

Love that book!

I started He Shall Thunder in the Sky by Elizabeth Peters last night.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Mon December 22nd, 2008, 9:05 pm

I'm getting close to the halfway point in "Far Pavillions", & enjoying reading about a subcontinent I've never been too interested in before. I'm hoping I can finish in time to discuss in January.

Also, I just found "Do I Get To Keep My Jersey" under the front passenger seat of my car. I was about a quarter way through that three months ago. It's ok. Not HF, but an autobiography by a much-travelled pro basketball player. I'll probably finish after FP.

Also, & VERY excited about this, I just started my cd series from The Teaching Company on the early middle ages. I also bought the other two - on the high & late middle ages. As I've posted before, these cds (they also have dvds & cassettes) are outstanding lectures by university professors on lots of different subjects. I especially recommend their "A History of England from the Tudors to the Stuarts." Anyway, I won't mind the Christmas traffic so much now.

Return to “Archives”