Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu September 4th, 2008, 12:09 am

Finished Guernsey Literary Society and liked it (see my response to Lil's review) Now plan on reading The Greatest Knigh by Eliz Chadwick

JMJacobsen
Reader

Post by JMJacobsen » Thu September 4th, 2008, 2:16 am

Just finished 'When Christ and his Saints Slept' and started 'Time and Chance,' by Sharon Kay Penman. Trying to get myself up to speed for 'Devil's Brood.'

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Thu September 4th, 2008, 7:09 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Gee, thanks for making me feel my age. That was a movie back in the 70's? 60's?[/quote]

I think it was made in the 70's but I didn't see it until the late 80's. I remember I used to baby sit for extra cash and make all the kids watch this movie over and over again. They complained to their Mom's eventually! :D
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri September 5th, 2008, 3:12 pm

I just finished the last of Penmans Welsh Triology, my gosh you guys were right, how emotionally rendering the stories were and by the end of each I was devastated till I started the next.

I trying to decide if it will be The Last Wife of Henry VIII, Crown in Candlelight, or the Fist Princess of Wales, any suggestion?

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Fri September 5th, 2008, 4:22 pm

Just started reading Barbara Erskine's "Kingdom of Shadows"...a time traveler novel back and forth 1988 to 1296 in the time of Robert the Bruce.....This my first venture in this genre .....I'm not sure if I can hang with it....the history and characters are interesting....the concept is bothersome.....

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri September 5th, 2008, 4:22 pm

I'ved just started The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri September 5th, 2008, 9:20 pm

Rises the Night by Colleen Gleason.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Melisende
Reader

Post by Melisende » Sat September 6th, 2008, 1:19 pm

"The Reavers" by GMF
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."

Women of History

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Sat September 6th, 2008, 3:36 pm

I'm still slugging through The Book Thief. I'm really not enjoying this book. I like the interesting and unique writing style but the story just isn't grabbing me at all. I'm debating with myself whether to put it down or not! What the heck is wrong with me?? Aparrantly, I'm the only person in the world who doesn't think this book is just the best ever! :confused:
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat September 6th, 2008, 3:44 pm

[quote=""1lila1""]I'm still slugging through The Book Thief. I'm really not enjoying this book. I like the interesting and unique writing style but the story just isn't grabbing me at all. I'm debating with myself whether to put it down or not! What the heck is wrong with me?? Aparrantly, I'm the only person in the world who doesn't think this book is just the best ever! :confused: [/quote]

I've been in that position a time or two myself. I feel your pain. Put it aside and try something else, cleanse the pallet (I know I'm not spelling that right) and try again.

Return to “Archives”