Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
ellenjane
Reader

Post by ellenjane » Mon September 15th, 2008, 4:36 pm

Well, I finished up Sepulchre last night. My opinion of the book dropped quite a bit after the end. It felt rushed and weird, and the modern-day heroine communicated her huge, pivotal find to the hero by text message. It was just her telling him what had happened, but I rolled my eyes pretty hard.

I've now started a re-read of While Christ and His Saints Slept, in preparation for Devil's Brood. I think I'd probably get caught up just fine without the re-reads, but it's fun for me, and a good excuse to read some Penman. It's been a long time.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon September 15th, 2008, 5:12 pm

[quote=""ellenjane""]Well, I finished up Sepulchre last night. My opinion of the book dropped quite a bit after the end. It felt rushed and weird, and the modern-day heroine communicated her huge, pivotal find to the hero by text message. It was just her telling him what had happened, but I rolled my eyes pretty hard.[/quote]

It's interesting looking at the reader reviews of Moss's books at Amazon UK, where you'd expect the "local" author to be more widely appreciated. Rarely do I see a book with one and two star scathing reviews as the Spotlighted ones.

ellenjane
Reader

Post by ellenjane » Mon September 15th, 2008, 5:27 pm

I don't think I'll be going for the next one, that's for sure.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon September 15th, 2008, 5:34 pm

[quote=""ellenjane""]I don't think I'll be going for the next one, that's for sure.[/quote]

Labrynthe was enough for me :)

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Tue September 16th, 2008, 4:31 am

Byzantium by Michael Ennis

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue September 16th, 2008, 7:59 am

What do you think of "Byzantium", Chuck? It's a histrorical epic along the old grand high adventure lines.

Currently reading: Barbara Erskine's "The Warrior's Princess", a heavy-duty melodrama featuring the daughter of British chieftain Caratacus, taken to Rome with his family as a prisoner after his defeat by Roman forces. He made an impressive speech which convinced the Senate to grant him honored guest status rather than a moment of limelight in the arena.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue September 16th, 2008, 8:39 am

Have you read Daughters of Fire by Barbara Erskine, Annis? The Warror's Princess is it's sequel, I believe.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

lindymc
Reader

Post by lindymc » Tue September 16th, 2008, 4:34 pm

Finished The Guernsey Literary....Society. Thought it was wonderful!

Now I've started Dark Angels by Karleen Koen, to get the background on "Grandmama" of Through a Glass Darkly and Now Face to Face.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue September 16th, 2008, 4:41 pm

[quote=""lindymc""]Now I've started Dark Angels by Karleen Koen, to get the background on "Grandmama" of Through a Glass Darkly and Now Face to Face.[/quote]

I do have to go back and reread that one. I read that first and had no idea about grandmama at the time. I do hope she'll write another book sometime soon filling the gap between DA and TAGD.

JaneConsumer
Reader

Post by JaneConsumer » Tue September 16th, 2008, 4:56 pm

The City and the Pillar by Gore Vidal. It's one of his early books, originally published in 1948. It's not technically historical fiction, although folks reading it today can gleam quite a bit about the post-depression era and contemporary attitudes toward gays. I think it was a turning point in Vidal's career as a writer.

Return to “Archives”