Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
gyrehead
Reader

Post by gyrehead » Wed December 24th, 2008, 5:30 pm

You know the office really should make a note in the whole secret Santa/Harry Hannukah exchange for the office party. Do not give me a book. To my surprise I got an arc of Deanna Raybourn's Silent on the Moor! And now As everyone else is getting busy with food and such, I'm hunkered down in my office pretending to try and polish off a bit of last minute work and trying to figure out how soon I can bolt. And where as I have family at my house that will not be pleased to see me with a new desperately want to read book in hand*.

*In a bit of holiday detente, my family and friends all promise that they will buy gift cards at local bookstores or on Amazon and will try to actually buy me books that I most likely already have. In exchange, I'm supposed to cease all reading unless it involves making a drink I'm unfamiliar with or whose name is on what gift tag. At least until mid-afternoon on Boxing Day.

Happy Holidays everyone and may they be as eventful or uneventful as you desire.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed December 24th, 2008, 6:05 pm

:D :D :D

I guess the one advantage of taking a dive and breaking my knee is I'm *forced* to skip the family dinner tomorrow. Darn, stuck home reading to my heart's content. ROFL, practically the first words out of my sis-in-law's mouth at the hospital was that I finally found a good excuse to skip the big to-do.

I'm reading A Silver Mirror by Roberta Gellis. Set during the conflicts between Henry III and Simon de Montfort.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed December 24th, 2008, 6:28 pm

Misfit, do you ever listen to Prarie Home Companion? Last weekend they had a hilarious send up of the holiday dinner complete with dysfuntional family. You can listen to it on NPR - its within the first 15 minutes so you don't need to listen to the whole thing. Priceless.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed December 24th, 2008, 7:10 pm

[quote=""Misfit""] :D :D :D

I'm reading A Silver Mirror by Roberta Gellis. Set during the conflicts between Henry III and Simon de Montfort.[/quote]

What historical characters are in it? I'm inclined to give it a look if it's not just fictional ones.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed December 24th, 2008, 7:22 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Misfit, do you ever listen to Prarie Home Companion? Last weekend they had a hilarious send up of the holiday dinner complete with dysfuntional family. You can listen to it on NPR - its within the first 15 minutes so you don't need to listen to the whole thing. Priceless.[/quote]

Thanks, I'll have to look at that. Just think no cigarettes and football for me this year, nothing but TV dinner and books :)

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Wed December 24th, 2008, 7:30 pm

[quote=""gyrehead""]You know the office really should make a note in the whole secret Santa/Harry Hannukah exchange for the office party. Do not give me a book. To my surprise I got an arc of Deanna Raybourn's Silent on the Moor!.[/quote]

I received a copy of that earlier this week and I've been anxiously waiting to read it since August. How on earth did your coworker get ahold of an ARC (I had to write about five e-mails before I received mine)? And how did they know what you would like?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed December 24th, 2008, 7:58 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]What historical characters are in it? I'm inclined to give it a look if it's not just fictional ones.[/quote]

Main character is a "natural" daughter of the Earl of Norfolk (he's allied with de Montfort), and her uncle Hugh Bigod who is allied with Henry. She was married (and widowed) to a Frenchman and owes allegiance to France. It starts during the time Henry and Edward after the battle of Lewes and are being held "prisoner". Gellis has her and her fiance (and eventually husband) involved in the thick of things going on amongst both the English and French court and the dispute between Henry and de Montfort. Old Simon himself just made an appearance. About 200 pages in to it so far and enjoying it but I'm no so up on the history that the little stuff would jump out at me.

I'll be done by tomorrow and will post a review.
Last edited by Misfit on Wed December 24th, 2008, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed December 24th, 2008, 8:20 pm

I've finally treated myself and have started to read "Cross Stitch" ("Outlander") and am breathlessly awaiting Jamie's appearance!

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu December 25th, 2008, 4:51 am

About two-thirds of the way through The Far Pavillions. And enjoying it very much. Review soon on Epinions. Tomorrow, as J has to work -- poor guy! -- is going to be spent reading, making fudge, reading, some baking, having tea., reading.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri December 26th, 2008, 12:27 am

The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton. I did not realize this won a Pulitzer Prize - at least that's what it says on the book jacket.

Return to “Archives”