Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Virgulina
Scribbler

Post by Virgulina » Mon September 1st, 2008, 10:41 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]I really enjoyed The Book Thief, Lila. It is unusual having Death as the narrator, he saw everything in colours, didn't he? He had a bit of a warped sense of humour, if I remember. But I did find it a very moving book.[/quote]

I'm one of the very few people that didn't really enjoy this book! Death annoyed me to no end with all the obvious foreshadowing and the humour seemed too forced. Maybe I'm just not sensitive enough but none of the characters moved me and I couldn't wait for the book to end! :o

Ana

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon September 1st, 2008, 10:55 pm

I just finished reading Last Day of the War by Judith Mitchell. Its not so much about WWI, its more about the breakup of the Ottoman empire and the genocide against the Armenians by the Turks. There is also a young Jewish girl who goes off the France with the YWCA to help soldiers and of course falls in love, with someone who belongs to an Armenian group exacting revenge. Very very well done, with some very funny moments, lots of irony, and some parts that are just heartwrenching. I would definitely read another by this author.

MLS859
Reader

Post by MLS859 » Mon September 1st, 2008, 11:00 pm

Lady of the Roses by Sandra Worth

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Mon September 1st, 2008, 11:30 pm

[quote=""1lila1""]I tried to start reading The Book Thief while laying by the pool in Vegas this weekend but I only got @30 pages in. It's not really a nice beachy sort of read....at all! So I drank some Pina Colada's instead :D !! I'll start it back up now that I'm home. It seems intersting. I just hope I can get over the weird writing style. We'll see![/quote]

Lila, you HAVE to finish this book!! It was one of the best, most memorable novels I've ever read. Truly, I can't think of too many others that match up to this one.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon September 1st, 2008, 11:31 pm

Nonfiction: Martha Washington by Patricia Brady. It's a very well written biography.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

JaneConsumer
Reader

Post by JaneConsumer » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 12:59 am

Finished Gaveston by Chris Hunt and about to start An Arrow's Flight by Mark Merlis.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 1:07 am

I'm 63 pages into The Blood Remembers by Terry Stanfill (a book buy as a result of the Norman Sicily discussion on the old forum).

I'm enjoying the story so far, but not so enthralled that I couldn't put it down for a two hour mountain run in the little green car today! :D

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 3:38 am

Sunrise Over Fallujah and the Sealed Letter
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 11:31 am

I'm just about to start London Dust by Lee Jackson, a murder mystery set in the 1850s.

ellenjane
Reader

Post by ellenjane » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 4:46 pm

I just finished up March, by Geraldine Brooks. I don't remember a lot about Little Women, but I really liked this book, which tells of the father's time in the American Civil War.

I've just started Stiff, which is about the various uses of cadavers, for my book club, but I have a pile of historical fiction awaiting me when my life settles down a bit!

Return to “Archives”