Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri December 5th, 2008, 9:14 am

The Girl With a Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Fri December 5th, 2008, 12:05 pm

Sir Thomas More by Peter Ackroyd

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri December 5th, 2008, 10:31 pm

Lord of the Bow by Conn Iggulden

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat December 6th, 2008, 4:00 am

Finished up In Triumph's Wake, review posted. Now I'm onto The Time of Singing, and enjoying it very much.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat December 6th, 2008, 8:15 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]Lord of the Bow by Conn Iggulden[/quote]

Actually, I am not reading the above book at all. I am reading the first book in the series - Wolf of the Plains.

Edith Wharton

AuntiePam
Reader

Post by AuntiePam » Sun December 7th, 2008, 2:59 am

[quote=""diamondlil""]The Girl With a Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson[/quote]

How is it? It's made a bunch of Best of 2008 lists.

I just finished Serena by Ron Rash, an operatic sort of novel set in a North Carolina logging town during the Depression. I absolutely loved it.

Currently reading Amagansett by Mark Mills. It's a murder mystery set in Long Island, NY just after WWII. I'm learning a lot about L.I. history and about fishing and I like Mills' style.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Sun December 7th, 2008, 3:25 am

Reading "The Lace Reader" Brunonia Barry.....Modern Salem and Witchery thriller has my interest.....And I really like Towner, the main character......Also it is in film pre production to be released in 2010.....

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun December 7th, 2008, 4:29 am

I've finished "The Complete History of Jack the Ripper (1994)" 2nd ed by Philip Sugden.

This is one of the most complete and fascinating books I've read on Jack. It is also one of the most highly regarded books on Jack by fans of the mystery.

This book is very long, 480 pages, plus sources, notes and index totaling 541. With the size of the text and the notes that include more information, the book is actually longer then the total pages makes it seems.

After reading this book I'm not sure I need or want to read other books before it or even after it, except maybe books with newer information that has showed up after this edition was put out.

Highly recommended for anyone interested in the mystery!

SM
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Sun December 7th, 2008, 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Maggie
Reader

Post by Maggie » Sun December 7th, 2008, 12:27 pm

Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sun December 7th, 2008, 12:45 pm

[quote=""EC2""]I'm still working my way slowly through Daughters of Fire by Barbara Erskine - it's really weird because some of that novel is very close to my real life![/quote]
I assume the historian/HF novelist protag is the really close part? :)

I've DOF read slowly through to page 112, but stuck a bookmark in and put it down a few months ago. I really need to finish reading it. Erskine is one of my favorite novelists, but DOF just hasn't drawn me in as much as her stories usually do. I'm very interested in the Roman Britain period. Must have been my mood ...
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Return to “Archives”