Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 10:33 am

Just started reading "The Lost Diary of Don Juan" by Douglas Carlton Abrams. Only a couple of pages into it so too early to make any comments.

It's the book we chose for our first book group.

leehow
Reader

Post by leehow » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 12:18 pm

Band of Brothers by Alexander Kent

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 1:10 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]Just started reading "The Lost Diary of Don Juan" by Douglas Carlton Abrams. Only a couple of pages into it so too early to make any comments.

It's the book we chose for our first book group.[/quote]

I would be interested to know later on how you like it Sweetpotatoboy, I have this lying on my TBR pile for quite a while now ! :)

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 1:26 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]Meyer does write books that go fast despite their size. Do you have the fourth one lined up?[/quote]

Breaking Dawn is the fourth (and last?) in the saga and now I'm half way through it. I borrowed Twilight from my niece a couple weeks ago and after I finished reading it, I ordered the rest of them through Amazon. So I've the pleasure and advantage of reading the entire four books series nearly straight through. I'm looking forward to the movie version of Twilight.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 1:36 pm

Have about five pages left on Jamaica Inn to finish when I get home and then I have to decide which of the other books in my D duM four-pack to start. I'm saving Rebecca for last so it's between Frenchman's Creek and My Cousin Rachel.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 3:04 pm

I loved My Cousin Rachel, Misfit, and Jamaica Inn. I haven't as yet read Frenchman's Creek. Rebecca is still my favourite.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 3:19 pm

[quote=""Leyland""]Breaking Dawn is the fourth (and last?) in the saga and now I'm half way through it. I borrowed Twilight from my niece a couple weeks ago and after I finished reading it, I ordered the rest of them through Amazon. So I've the pleasure and advantage of reading the entire four books series nearly straight through. I'm looking forward to the movie version of Twilight.[/quote]

I've read and loved the first two. Still have the others to read and I'm looking foward to it. I was told to read Twilight a few years ago just before it broke big by a USA reading buddy. Having seen the trailers, I definitely think I'm going to enjoy the film!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 3:21 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]I loved My Cousin Rachel, Misfit, and Jamaica Inn. I haven't as yet read Frenchman's Creek. Rebecca is still my favourite.[/quote]

It's surprising I wasn't too sure how I was going to do with Jamaica Inn but the last twists in the final 50 or so pages, WOW. I had a slight guess what was coming but not in full.

lindymc
Reader

Post by lindymc » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 6:13 pm

I've started The Vizard Mask by Diana Norman. Having just finished Devil's Brood, and The Time of Singing, I felt like I had to go with another "tried and true" favorite author. I've found in the past that after finishing a really, really good book, the next one I start tends to fall flat. Don't think I'll have that problem this time. About 100 pages into Vizard Mask and I'm enjoying it.
She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873) -- Louisa May Alcott

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 7:12 pm

I must borrow another Diana Norman book from the library. I love her writing but haven't yet read any of those older, harder to find books. like The Vizard Mask.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “Archives”