Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 3:32 pm

Bedside book: Just about to start "The Time of Singing" by Elizabeth Chadwick.

Travel-to-work book: "Salmon Fishing in the Yemen" by Paul Torday (much better than it sounds!)

Occasionally dipping in to: "The 60's Unplugged" by Gerard DeGroot (for research purposes ;) )

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 6:28 pm

The Silver Branch by one of my favorites authors...Rosemary Sutcliff.....a YA novel in Romano/British times.....nothing YA about it...her main characters are twenty something but that's about it.....
Last edited by chuck on Wed December 3rd, 2008, 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 7:23 pm

Star of the Morning by Lynn Kurland, a romance novelist. This book is the first of the "Nine Kingdoms" trilogy, a romance fantasy.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 10:24 pm

Finished Devil's Brood last night and started A Question of Guilt by Julianne Lee, which should be a fast read.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu December 4th, 2008, 7:11 am

I've finished "The Big Book of Bible Bloopers: A Lightheard Look at the Misquotes, Misconceptions, and Misunderstandings of the World's Bestselling Book" by J. Stephen Lang.

Yes, at times this book is very lighthearted and laugh out loud funny, for example, this is an actual list of answers on a test on the Bible:
Q: Who built pagan temples to please all his foreign wives?
A: Donald Trump
Larry King
Henry VIII
Correct: Solomon

and

Q. King Solomon was paid a visit by what famous queen?
A. Elizabeth II
Latifah
Victoria
Ru-Paul
Camilla
Correct: The Queen of Sheba (Sonja Note: uh only 2 of them were actual Queens, Latifah does go by Queen and Ru-Paul is a Drag Queen but Camilla is not even remotely any kind of Queen and I hope she never is!)

and

Q: The prophet Joel had a vision of a plague of what?
A: Acne
Jehovah's Witnesses going door to door
Lawyers
Hip-hop artists
Correct: Locusts

and lastly an essay answer (the spelling is how it appears in the book and in the essay):
Question: Summarize the two books of Chronicles.

The two books of Cronicles are about the kings of Isrel but a lot of the books are just old family trees that aren't really very interesting to read about unless maybe you were one of the people in the tree. The first book of Kronicles tells all about King David and how he brought Noah's ark into Jerusalem and fought lots of other countries, then at the end of the book David dies, so his life is over. Then Second Khronicles talks about Solomon building temple for God, Solomon also is visited by the queen of Sheeba and impresses her big time. I don't remember much else about Second Kronicles because I missed class twice in one week, once because of the flue and once because I had stayed up late the night before in an internet chatroom.

OMG!

Other parts of the book were more interesting then lighthearted and other parts just made my eyes roll back in my head a few times.

SM
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Thu December 4th, 2008, 7:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu December 4th, 2008, 8:15 am

When Will There Be Good News by Kate Atkinson.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu December 4th, 2008, 1:49 pm

I have that on my TBR shelf; I have loved all of her books, just haven't gotten to that one yet.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Thu December 4th, 2008, 5:36 pm

I'm reading Bride of the Lion by Elizabeth Stuart, a HR set during the time "when Christ and his saints slept". I needed something intellectually light and a quick read after several heady heavy novels in a row!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu December 4th, 2008, 6:08 pm

[quote=""LCW""]I'm reading Bride of the Lion by Elizabeth Stuart, a HR set during the time "when Christ and his saints slept". I needed something intellectually light and a quick read after several heady heavy novels in a row![/quote]

I've got that one on my TBR - let us know how you get on!
I'm still working my way slowly through Daughters of Fire by Barbara Erskine - it's really weird because some of that novel is very close to my real life!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu December 4th, 2008, 11:25 pm

I've finished "Doomed Queens: Royal Woman Who Met Bad Ends From Cleopatra to Princess Di" by Kris Waldherr. Small review later.

Update: Review here http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... hp?p=13902

SM
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Fri December 5th, 2008, 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Return to “Archives”