Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon September 8th, 2008, 3:10 am

[quote=""nona""]oh how neat do you know the author? I loved Weir's (least I think it was Alison Weir) book on Jane Grey I felt so sorry for her to be a pawn like that.[/quote]

Oops my bad! It's "A Crown In Darkness" by Margaret Mullally from 1976:
http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/tplcli ... 71%26y%3D7

There's a book by P.C Doherty with the same name as the Mullally one, I was mistaking Candlelight for it.

Sorry!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Kailana
Reader

Post by Kailana » Mon September 8th, 2008, 3:29 am

I don't know what to read... I have a little pile here and I am trying to decide. I finished The Ladies of Grace Adieu yesterday and really liked it, so it is hard to follow it up...

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Mon September 8th, 2008, 9:35 am

I am reading My Lady of Cleves by Margaret Campbell Barnes, and so far I am totally enjoying it!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Mon September 8th, 2008, 12:48 pm

Following the "I need a Chadwick" I've started Daughters of the Grail. Not too sure about this one -- I've read so much about the Cathars over the years, but as it _is_ a Chadwick, I'm going to try and give it my best try.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue September 9th, 2008, 3:40 am

Diamond Dove by Adrian Hyland

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Post by Julianne Douglas » Tue September 9th, 2008, 5:31 am

I have about 60 pages of Michelle Moran's The Heretic Queen left and I just love it! I can't wait to see what happens, but will be so sad when it ends.
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Tue September 9th, 2008, 5:48 am

I'm reading an ARC of C.C. Humphrey's "Vlad: The Last Confession" about the historical Dracula. It's intense and very atmospheric; pub date for Canada is 9/10 and 2/09 in the UK. Not sure about a US pub date. He wrote a book called "The French Executioner" about the man who beheaded Anne Boleyn. "Vlad" is sublime; Dracula isn't an easy character to make empathetic but C.C. manages it beautifully. Next on my list is Michelle's "The Heretic Queen" (it's pre-ordered) and "Mistress of the Revolution" by Catherine Delors (on my nightstand). And TBR pile continues to grow! I just got Elizabeth Chadwick's "The Greatest Knight", "Fool's Gold," the new Alatriste novel by Perez Reverte (love 'em!) and "Immortal" by Traci Slatton. Now that I've turned in my Catherine de Medici manuscript, I'm catching up on reading like a fiend.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue September 9th, 2008, 7:35 am

I will definitely be interested in hearing what you think of the CC Humphreys books. I have had his books on my TBR pile for ages, but never actually managed to read one.

Edith Wharton

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue September 9th, 2008, 7:43 am

CW, Diamondlil, I've got CC Humphreys Jack Absolute on my TBR shelf - or my dh has. I obtained a signed copy at the HNS conference a few years ago. Neither of us has read it yet, but it's waiting its turn. I've also just borrowed The King's Gold - Alatriste from the library. I was going to start it yesterday but the dh has grabbed it, so I'll have to wait my turn!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue September 9th, 2008, 9:25 am

I'm just about to start Precious Bane by Mary Webb, a story set in the England of Waterloo, a love story centring around a girl with a harelip.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Archives”